[comp.os.vms] Menu system like help

PYM@QUCDNSUR.BITNET (Dr John Pym [Cardiothoracic Surgery]) (07/07/88)

Michael Joe Walters <mwalters@UWYO.BITNET>  writes:

> I need to set up a system where the user can make choices and proceed down the
> tree to find the document they are interested in. The VMS Help facility is a
> good example of the type of system I am looking for.

> Can the VMS Help facility be used  as a separate process? This project should
> not be part of the Help system. I want the user to be able to type XYZ and get
> into the system just like Help gets you into the help system.

> Are there better systems you would suggest I look at? I am looking for free
> software, but would consider a commercial package.

This can easily be achieved using VMS HELP - why re-invent the wheel by
writing a heirarchical text database when  d i g i t a l  has already done
it for you?  Format your documents in help file format (remember only 74
characters per line). You can add the appropriate escape sequences to make
it all pretty e.g. reverse video, double height/width, graphics mode for simple
diagrams and flow charts, etc. Then build the modules into your own help
library and define a symbol to point to it - such as
$ XYZ :== HELP/LIBRARY=Dxxx:[WHEREVER]YOURHELP.HLB
remembering the full device and directory specification (defaults to SYS$HELP).

We have implemented a drug and medical procedural database for resident
staff in our large multidisciplinary intensive care unit using just this
method.  It is, however, an obvious choice for any heirarchical text database
which requires modular addition and revision - and it's cheap and easy to
implement.

As an aside, an excellent online help system has been released by Sun for
their new 386i workstation.  It is hypertext-like - just click the mouse
on an underlined word in the text and you go off to help information on
that particular key word. I understand that this will be added to upcoming
versions of Sun OS for other processors. This feature would be useful in
VMS help - IS ANYONE FROM VMS DEVELOPMENT LISTENING?

John Pym

BITNET:  PYM@QUCDNSUR                    Real life:   Dr. John Pym
                                                      Department of Surgery
Telephone (613)549-3898 - office                      Queen's University
          (613)548-4879 - home                        Kingston. Ontario
          (613)541-7792 - cellular                    CANADA. K7L 2V6

GG.SPY@ISUMVS.BITNET ("John Hascall") (07/07/88)

> Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 88 16:42:44 MDT
> Sender:       INFO-VAX Discussion <INFO-VAX@UBVM>
> From:         Michael Joe Walters <mwalters@UWYO.BITNET>
> Subject:      Menu system like help
>
> I need to set up a system where the user can make choices and proceed down the
> tree to find the document they are interested in. The VMS Help facility is a
> good example of the type of system I am looking for.
>
> Can the VMS Help facility be used  as a separate process? This project should
> not be part of the Help system. I want the user to be able to type XYZ and get
> into the system just like Help gets you into the help system.

   You can call the VMS help facility with your own help library (simple to
create).  You can either do it in DCL "XYZ :== HELP @MYHELPLIBRARY" or if you
want more flexibility you can write a program--the routine you want to call
is LBR$OUTPUT_HELP (see "VAX/VMS Utility Routines Reference Manual" (Volume
8A of the orange books), pages LBR-50 through LBR-54).

  To create your own help library:

     1) LIBRARY/CREATE/HELP name-of-my-library.HLB
     2) then create a help file for each major (top-level) topic
     3) LIBRARY/INSERT name-of-my-library.HLB name-of-my-help-file.HLP
         (for each file)

     For an example of the format of a help file you can:

        LIBRARY/OUT=TT:/EXTRACT=ASSIGN SYS$HELP:HELPLIB.HLB

     which will show you the input for "HELP ASSIGN"

John Hascall
Iowa State Univ. Computation Center
GGUUU@ISUMVS.BITNET -or- GVJPH@VAXD.IASTATE.EDU

> Michael Walters
> MWalters @ UWYO.BITNET

ZSYJKAA@WYOCDC1.BITNET (Jim Kirkpatrick 307 766-5303) (07/07/88)

Well, you can use HELP itself.  Refer to the DCL dictionary under the
HELP command and you can see that you can specify your own HELP library;
even typing HELP HELP will point this out.  Refer to the LIBRARIAN reference
manual for instructions on how to form and build your own HELP library.
As to your desire to type XYZ to get into it, you could define a symbol
      XYZ :== $HELP/qualifiers
in your LOGIN.COM file.  If you wanted a particular set of users to have
access to the symbol, it would either need to be in each LOGIN.COM file,
or if they are all in the same group ("group" in the UIC sense of the word)
it is possible to have a system manager define a group-wide LOGIN.COM;
I don't know how far you'd get in asking to have such a symbol added to
the system-wide login file for 2% of the system's users.

P.S. There's VMS experts or near-experts on your floor, the floor below,
and I live on the next floor up; maybe Info-VAX was overkill for asking
this question without first exhausting local options?

XRBEO@VPFVM.BITNET (Bruce O'Neel) (07/12/88)

If  understand you correctly, you can get away with a

 $ xyz :== "HELP/LIBRARY=XYZ" do do what you want