[comp.os.vms] Disconnect from SET HOST

jdc@rama.UUCP (James D. Cronin) (07/02/88)

  Here at SC we have a number of MicroVax GPX's used for various chores.
Because they have no terminal lines (ignoring CSA0:, of course), most of
us SET HOST to use them.

  What I would like to do is set the remote terminal (RTAxx:) /DISCONNECT,
so we can disconnect while long jobs are running, and go hog some other
machine.  However, VMS doesn't let you set either the template device
(RTA0:) or your current device (RTAxx:) to /DISCONNECT.

  Is there any other way to do this?  It would be most handy.
Thanks in advance.
--

James D. Cronin           UUCP:  {...}!rochester!tropix!rama!jdc
Scientific Calculations/Harris

LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU (Automatic Message) (07/05/88)

	Here at SC we have a number of MicroVax GPX's used for various chores.
	Because they have no terminal lines (ignoring CSA0:, of course), most
	of us SET HOST to use them.

	What I would like to do is set the remote terminal (RTAxx:)
	/DISCONNECT, so we can disconnect while long jobs are running, and go
	hog some other machine.  However, VMS doesn't let you set either the
	template device (RTA0:) or your current device (RTAxx:) to
	/DISCONNECT.

	Is there any other way to do this?  It would be most handy.

There's no way to do this.  The driver for RT devices is not a terminal port
driver (it doesn't connect to TTDRIVER), and DISCONNECT is handled by
TTDRIVER.

About all I can suggest is a hack:  Get hold of the latest PT driver, recently
posted by Kevin Carosso, and log in twice, once on the RT, then through the
pseudo-terminal.  The second session can be set /DISCONNECT.

							-- Jerry

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (07/06/88)

 >   Here at SC we have a number of MicroVax GPX's used for various chores.
 > Because they have no terminal lines (ignoring CSA0:, of course), most of
 > us SET HOST to use them.
 >
 >   What I would like to do is set the remote terminal (RTAxx:) /DISCONNECT,
 > so we can disconnect while long jobs are running, and go hog some other
 > machine.  However, VMS doesn't let you set either the template device
 > (RTA0:) or your current device (RTAxx:) to /DISCONNECT.
 >
 >   Is there any other way to do this?  It would be most handy.
 > Thanks in advance.

There's no way (at least that's what the VMS documentation said  when  virtual
terminals first came out) to make an RTxx:  disconnectable.  However, there is
a workaround for your problem (maybe).  If you set the physical  terminals  on
which  the  users log in on other machines /SECURE_SERVER/PERMANENT, then they
can hit <BREAK> to do the equivalent of  DISCONNECT/CONTINUE  from  the  local
machine.   You'll still have the DECnet link between the local machine and the
GPX, so if the user reconnects to his disconnected  local  process,  he'll  be
back on the GPX.

Another alternative would be to buy a TCP/IP package for both the GPX and  the
machines  the  users  originally  log in on.  MULTINET, from SRI International
(the version of TCP/IP we run on CITHEX) has the feature that if you exit from
TELNET  without  logging  out,  the remote process is disconnected.  A word of
warning here:  if you create a disconnected process this way then  log  in  on
the  GPX  from  the  console,  it  will offer you the chance to connect to the
disconnected process.  If you accept its offer, the system will crash  (or  at
least it would under uVMS v4.4 and [I think] VWS v3.1).

adelman@WARBUCKS.AI.SRI.COM (Kenneth Adelman) (07/09/88)

> A word of warning here: if you create a disconnected
> process this way then log in on the GPX from the console, it will
> offer you the chance to connect to the disconnected process.	If you
> accept its offer, the system will crash (or at least it would under
> uVMS v4.4 and [I think] VWS v3.1).

    I'm sure you would find that you get better response to bugs of
this nature if you complained to your vendor instead of INFO-VAX.  We
have received no reports of this problem (including from you).

					Kenneth Adelman
					SRI International

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (07/12/88)

 > > A word of warning here: if you create a disconnected
 > > process this way then log in on the GPX from the console, it will
 > > offer you the chance to connect to the disconnected process.	If you
 > > accept its offer, the system will crash (or at least it would under
 > > uVMS v4.4 and [I think] VWS v3.1).
 >
 >     I'm sure you would find that you get better response to bugs of
 > this nature if you complained to your vendor instead of INFO-VAX.  We
 > have received no reports of this problem (including from you).

Apparently my message wasn't as clear as it should have been.  This was
a problem with VWS v3.1 running under VMS V4.4, not with the MULTINET software.
It doesn't matter how you create a disconnected process, it's the attempt
to connect WTAx: to VTAx: that kills the system.  The problem no longer
exists with VMS v4.7 and VWS v3.2.

hjm@cernvax.UUCP (hjm) (07/12/88)

In article <880705095110.182f@CitHex.Caltech.Edu> carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:

> >   What I would like to do is set the remote terminal (RTAxx:) /DISCONNECT,
> > so we can disconnect while long jobs are running, and go hog some other
> > machine.  However, VMS doesn't let you set either the template device
> > (RTA0:) or your current device (RTAxx:) to /DISCONNECT.

One way around this is to use a DECserver so that you can hop around (or hog
around!) lots of machines at once.

	Hubert Matthews

(OK, so it doesn't solve that problem, but it *is* a valid solution)