[comp.os.vms] Vaxmate Question

CARL@SCU.BITNET (CARL FUSSELL) (07/02/88)

I realize that this is not the most appropriate list for this question,
but perhaps some you are utilizing VAXmates in your environments and
can help.

The vaxmate, when running PC software, has essentially a CGA display.
(I realize it is capable of higher resolution).  My question is, does
anyone know of any third party vendors that sell ega upgrades for
the VAXmate (other than putting an ega card and 2nd monitor on the
system)?

Thanx for any info...

Carl Fussell
Santa Clara Univ
BITNET:   CARL@SCU   (preferred)
INTERNET: G.FUSSELL@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

lowey@damask.UUCP (Kevin Lowey) (07/13/88)

In article <8807020535.AA01474@jade.berkeley.edu>, CARL@SCU.BITNET (CARL FUSSELL) writes:
> The vaxmate, when running PC software, has essentially a CGA display.
> (I realize it is capable of higher resolution).  My question is, does
> anyone know of any third party vendors that sell ega upgrades for
> the VAXmate (other than putting an ega card and 2nd monitor on the
> system)?

  This might not be of interest, but I wrote a TSR program which lets
programs written for the 640 by 400 by 2 colour mode on an AT&T 6300
computer work on the 640 by 400 by 2 colour mode of the DEC VAXmate.  This
works with programs that let you choose the graphic adapter to use manually.
Some programs attempt to "guess" at what kind of adapter you have by looking
at the copyright notice in ROM or something.  These programs will not work
properly.

  Since more programs support the AT&T 6300 than the VAXmate, I have found
the program very useful.

  It is written in pure Turbo Pascal 4.0.  I can supply both the source code
and executables. The program EMULATT (bad pun I know) is also on the latest
DECUS symposium diskette.

  If you would rather roll your own, all you need to know is that the BIOS
interrupt to set the video mode uses the mode $D0 for the VAXmate 640 by 400,
while the mode on the AT&T is $40.  My TSR just intercepts the calls to set
and report the current video mode.  Every time it sees $40, it changes it to
$D0 and continues with the interrupt.

  Please contact me directly at the address below if you want a copy of the
program.  If there are enough requests, I will post it in COMP.SYS.DEC.MICRO
(with a notification I have done so here).

| Kevin Lowey                    |The above is the personal opinion of Kevin |
| University of Saskatchewan     |Lowey.  It does not reflect the position of|
| Computing Services             |the University of Saskatchewan in any way. |
| SaskTel: (306) 966-4826        |                                           |
| Bitnet:LOWEY@SASK. (preferred) |I am in no way affiliated with any of the  |
| UUCP:  ihnp4!damask!lowey.uucp |above mentioned companies other than U of S|