[net.dcom] High-speed modem query

pjatter@sandia.UUCP (10/21/85)

We are currently evaluating high-speed (i.e., > 1200 baud) modems
to link our remote terminal users to our Vax.

There seem to be plenty of options in the 2400 baud arena, but now
we're getting greedy and are looking at some of the 9600 baud
modems which are beginning to become available. Does anyone have
any experience with 9600 baud modems (preferrably asynchronous)?
The only companies I've seen advertise so far are:

 Electronic Vaults (Reston, VA): upta 96 (asynchronous)
 Universal Data Systems (Huntsville, AL): UDS 9600 A/B (synchronous)

(We just obtained a UDS modem for evaluation (using their EC-100
synchronous -> asynchronous converter) and had no trouble
getting it to work here in the office.
We haven't tried it over long distance lines yet.)

It appears that there are some proposed standards for these
modems (CCITT V.29 & V.32).
I've seen some proposed CCITT standards (V.29 & V.32) mentioned
in the literature for these modems. Does anyone know just what
these standards standardize?

Paul Attermeier
Sandia National Labs
Div 5324
Albuquerque, NM
UUCP: ...{ucbvax | ihnp4!lanl | gatech}!unmvax!sandia!pjatter
ARPANET: rowe@sandia-cad

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (10/24/85)

In article <120@sandia.UUCP> pjatter@sandia.UUCP writes:
>We are currently evaluating high-speed (i.e., > 1200 baud) modems
>to link our remote terminal users to our Vax.
>
>There seem to be plenty of options in the 2400 baud arena, but now
>we're getting greedy and are looking at some of the 9600 baud
>modems which are beginning to become available. Does anyone have
>any experience with 9600 baud modems (preferrably asynchronous)?
>The only companies I've seen advertise so far are:
>
> Electronic Vaults (Reston, VA): upta 96 (asynchronous)
> Universal Data Systems (Huntsville, AL): UDS 9600 A/B (synchronous)

Another option which just arrived is the Telebit modem, being marketed
by Digital Communications Associates (PC Irma coax interface board et
al).  This is a proprietary asynch scheme for 9600 b/s which purportedly
can adapt to changing line conditions on the fly in increments of <100 b/s.
They do this by subdividing the bandwidth into numerous subchannels
to spread out the information.  I seem to recall price for the
stand-alone unit to be about $2400.  I mention this since, as they
are currently selling for the volume PC marketplace, they are likely
to become a de facto standard.  I believe the information number is
1(800) TELEBIT.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: They don't know, and they probably don't care.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the dark."