[comp.os.vms] How to debug from another terminal including DECServers.er terminals

petrick@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Jim Petrick) (07/17/88)

In article <8807160342.AA20873@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> EVERHART%ARISIA.DECnet@GE-CRD.ARPA writes:

>Mark Granoff writes of a problem in which DBG$INPUT and DBG$OUTPUT
>must be directed to a terminal device.

Set up the terminal server port as follows:

	Local> Define port N dedicated service NODENAME
	Local> define port N access dynamic speed 9600
	Local> logout port N

At this point, login to NODENAME from another terminal and do

	$ SHOW DEV LTA			! note the LTAnn  numbers

then, back to the terminal server and do:

	Local> connect port N

now back to the term you already logged in and

	$ show dev LTA		! find the new LTAnn, (example LTA32:)
	$ allocate LTA32:
	$ define DBG$INPUT LTA32:
	$ define DBG$OUTPUT LTA32:
	$ set term/inq LTA32:
	$ run/deb prog

That should do the job.  I've included a .COM fil to do the VAX part.

-------- CUT HERE --------------------------------------- CUT HERE -----
$ show dev lt/output=temp.tmp
$ inquire ans "Connect remote terminal then press return"
$ show dev lt/output=temp.tmp
$ diff/nonumber/output=temp.tmp2 temp.tmp/change
$ sea temp.tmp2/output=temp.tmp "!"
$ open temp temp.tmp
$ read temp tsym
$ close temp
$ lta :== 'f$element(1," ",tsym)
$ alloc 'lta
$ define dbg$input 'LTA
$ define dbg$output 'LTA
$ set term/inq 'lta
$ del/nolog temp.tmp*;*

This seems to work on my system (Decserver 200), it may help you.

							Jim Petrick