[comp.os.vms] TECO in VMS 5

kenw%noah.arc.CDN@ean.ubc.ca (Ken Wallewein) (07/02/88)

  For a while, now, I've been reading/hearing rumours about full-native TECO
coming with VMS Version 5. Somebody who knows, please tell us all - can it
really be true? I'd give a lot to be able to use TECO on this MicroVax II!

/kenw

hjm@cernvax.UUCP (hjm) (07/06/88)

In article <2073*kenw@noah.arc.cdn> kenw%noah.arc.CDN@ean.ubc.ca (Ken Wallewein) writes:

>  For a while, now, I've been reading/hearing rumours about full-native TECO
>coming with VMS Version 5. Somebody who knows, please tell us all - can it
>really be true? I'd give a lot to be able to use TECO on this MicroVax II!
>
>/kenw

It was a DEC decision to 'kill' TECO a long way back (VMS V4.0, I think), so
it won't be coming back in a hurry.  Pity really, in what other editor can you
type in your name as a command and see what happened.

Seriously, DEC are committed to promoting TPU which has almost all the
possibilities of good ol' TECO like editing a buffer, then using it as a
command upon itself.  But, somehow, it's just not the same ...

	Hubert Matthews

OBERMAN@ICDC.LLNL.GOV ("Kevin Oberman, LLNL, 422-6955", 415) (07/11/88)

>>  For a while, now, I've been reading/hearing rumours about full-native TECO
>>coming with VMS Version 5. Somebody who knows, please tell us all - can it
>>really be true? I'd give a lot to be able to use TECO on this MicroVax II!
>>
>>/kenw
>
>It was a DEC decision to 'kill' TECO a long way back (VMS V4.0, I think), so
>it won't be coming back in a hurry.  Pity really, in what other editor can you
>type in your name as a command and see what happened.
>
>Seriously, DEC are committed to promoting TPU which has almost all the
>possibilities of good ol' TECO like editing a buffer, then using it as a
>command upon itself.  But, somehow, it's just not the same ...

Please be sure of your facts before answering questions like this! VMS V5
does contain a native mode TECO which runs on ALL VAXen. I ought to know.
I'm running VMS V5 on a VAXstation 2000 and TECO saved my *** when I had
to edit a file before I get the windowing SW installed. (I never did learn
to use EDT in the line mode.)

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET (Mark H. Wood) (07/19/88)

>>  For a while, now, I've been reading/hearing rumours about full-native TECO
>>coming with VMS Version 5. Somebody who knows, please tell us all - can it
>>really be true? I'd give a lot to be able to use TECO on this MicroVax II!
>>
>>/kenw
>
>It was a DEC decision to 'kill' TECO a long way back (VMS V4.0, I think), so
>it won't be coming back in a hurry.  Pity really, in what other editor can you
>type in your name as a command and see what happened.
>
>Seriously, DEC are committed to promoting TPU which has almost all the
>possibilities of good ol' TECO like editing a buffer, then using it as a
>command upon itself.  But, somehow, it's just not the same ...

The story that I heard, a year or two ago, is that the corporation *tried*
to 'kill' TECO but their own programmers revolted!  I have no idea how true
this might be, but as a long-time TECO user I can easily believe it.  I hope
that, eventually, I will learn enough TPU to be useful, but I'm looking
forward to the TECO revival in V5.

Mark H. Wood    IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET   (317)274-0749 III U   U PPPP  U   U III
Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis  I  U   U P   P U   U  I
799 West Michigan Street, ET 1023                       I  U   U PPPP  U   U  I
Indianapolis, IN  46202 USA                             I  U   U P     U   U  I
[@disclaimer@]                                         III  UUU  P      UUU  III