[net.dcom] TCP/IP on 56kb

gardner@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/18/85)

Does anyone run TCP/IP link from VMS/Eunice/Wollongong 785 over 56kb line
without using DEC's DMR11 card?  In particular is there an interface
available that handles more than one line or at least doesn't draw 12 amps
to handle one line?  We must do packet forwarding so we can't use a "TCP/IP
in a card" solution.

	michael gardner
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!gardner
ARPA:	gardner@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	gardner%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	150 DCL, 1304 W Springfield, urbana, il, 61801
phone:	217-244-0914

agg@mhuxm.UUCP (gross a g) (10/18/85)

> Does anyone run TCP/IP link from VMS/Eunice/Wollongong 785 over 56kb line
> without using DEC's DMR11 card?  In particular is there an interface
> available that handles more than one line or at least doesn't draw 12 amps
> to handle one line?  We must do packet forwarding so we can't use a "TCP/IP
> in a card" solution.
>
> 	michael gardner
> UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!gardner
> ARPA:	gardner@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
> CSNET:	gardner%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
> USMail:	150 DCL, 1304 W Springfield, urbana, il, 61801
> phone:	217-244-0914

I am also interested in TCP/IP over 56kb lines.  At my end will
be an 11/780 SVR2 UNIX system running Wollongong TCP/IP.  The
other end may be a BSD system or possibly another SVR2.
I would very much like to know what options exist:
hardware and their drivers.
art gross ihnp4!mhuxm!agg

medin@lll-crg.ARpA (Milo Medin) (10/27/85)

In article <11200003@uiucuxc>, gardner@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

> Does anyone run TCP/IP link from VMS/Eunice/Wollongong 785 over 56kb line
> without using DEC's DMR11 card?  In particular is there an interface
> available that handles more than one line or at least doesn't draw 12 amps
> to handle one line?  We must do packet forwarding so we can't use a "TCP/IP
> in a card" solution.

Well, if TWG is still using BSD drivers like they have before,
you can also use a DMC board, since the BSD code uses the DMR in
DMC mode.  You don't get sources with their stuff though,
so you cant look at the driver and tell, but give 'em a call
and see.  Be glad you dont use a DEUNA, that sucker takes 15 AMPS
and 2 UNIBUS slots. (Handy for cooking lunch though)

Also, I hope the put in the hacks to allow the TCP/IP routing
to handle point to point links properly.  4.2 didn't until
UCB got a link to the UCSF Med. Center using DMC-11's.  4.3
handles that fine though, but I doubt TWG has a copy of that
yet.  All the TWG code is derived from the UCB stuff, so I'd expect
similar problems with it.  This is especially true if both ends
of the pipe are gateways to local nets and you need to pass routing
info bewteen them.

Of course, if you cant get it to work or cant afford the DMC power reqts,
if you have a couple of 11/23's lying around you could add ether and
serial sync. boards to them (they're Qbus so its generally cheaper
than  UNIBUS) and turn  them into dedicated gateways.  That
way you can chuck the Vaxen and binary only software entirely,
and you'll get better performance to boot (Vaxen under
general purpose OS's dont make for fast gateways).

					Milo Medin
					...!ucbvax!medin.UUCP
					medin@ames.ARPA