[comp.os.vms] Insufficient process dynamic memory

srghdxp@grv.dsir.govt.nz (06/28/88)

Does any one know how to increase the process dynamic memory area.
On our VAX (and every other that I have looked at) it is set
to 25600 bytes. If a lot of logical names are defined then we
get an error activating some tasks with the fatal error message

 "Insufficient dynamic memory".

Thank you in advance
David Pairman

My addresses are:

BITNET: 	SRGHDXP%GIH.DSIR.GOVT.NZ@UUNET.UU.NET
PSI:		SRGHDXP::GIH::PSI%53014600000040
ACSNET:		SRGHDXP%GIH@vuwcomp.nz
UUCP:		{ubc-vision,alberta}!calgary!vuwcomp!GIH!SRGHDXP

rumseyj@nzfc.co.nz (John Rumsey, Information Services, NZFC.) (06/30/88)

In article <294@grv.dsir.govt.nz>, srghdxp@grv.dsir.govt.nz writes:
> Does any one know how to increase the process dynamic memory area.
> On our VAX (and every other that I have looked at) it is set
> to 25600 bytes. If a lot of logical names are defined then we
> get an error activating some tasks with the fatal error message
>
>  "Insufficient dynamic memory".

If I remember correctly, the special (and therefore undocumented) SYSGEN
parameter CTLPAGES controls the size of the process dynamic memory area.
Its default value of 50 pages corresponds to your figure of 25600 bytes.
We run with a value of 100 pages on most of our systems - a value suggested in
the installation notes for one of our software products (I forget which).
Since it is not a dynamic parameter you will have to reboot to make any change
to this parameter take effect.

John Rumsey.                              Computer Centre Manager
                                          Information Services Division
Phone +64 4 710210                        New Zealand Forestry Corporation
EMail:                                    PO Box 10-310
PSI%0530147000002::RUMSEYJ                Wellington 6000
RUMSEYJ@NZFC.CO.NZ                        New Zealand.

LEICHTER@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU ("Jerry Leichter ", LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (07/04/88)

	Does any one know how to increase the process dynamic memory area.
	On our VAX (and every other that I have looked at) it is set
	to 25600 bytes. If a lot of logical names are defined then we
	get an error activating some tasks with the fatal error message

	 "Insufficient dynamic memory".

If I remember right, the special SYSGEN parameter CTLPAGES controls this.
(AUTOGEN for V4.7 sets it to 50 pages except on VAXStations using QVSS's,
where it sets it to 250 pages.  Since AUTOGEN plays around with the parameter,
it should know what else has to change if you give it a new value in
MODPARAMS.DAT.)

No guarantees that this will fix your problem, though!

							-- Jerry

MCGUIRE@GRIN1.BITNET ("The Sysco Kid ", McGuire,Ed) (07/12/88)

> If I remember correctly, the special (and therefore undocumented) SYSGEN
> parameter CTLPAGES controls the size of the process dynamic memory area.
> Its default value of 50 pages corresponds to your figure of 25600 bytes.
> We run with a value of 100 pages on most of our systems - a value suggested in
> the installation notes for one of our software products (I forget which).

SAS Release 5.16 requires you to change CTLPAGES to 300 pages.

Ed

dave@umbc3.UMD.EDU (David A Freeman) (07/19/88)

In article <8807161723.AA01297@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MCGUIRE@GRIN1.BITNET ("The Sysco Kid ", McGuire,Ed) writes:
>> If I remember correctly, the special (and therefore undocumented) SYSGEN
>> parameter CTLPAGES controls the size of the process dynamic memory area.
>> Its default value of 50 pages corresponds to your figure of 25600 bytes.

If CTLPAGES doesn't help try PIOPAGES (Process I/O pages).  We had to
add 100 to the default 245.  I think our error message was
"%RMS-F-DME dynamic memory exhusted".  Our "set uic X" command won't work
without the extra pages.

						dave

dave@umbc3.umd.edu
dave@umbc2		:bitnet