[comp.os.vms] Explanation Point!

rostamia@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Dr. Rouben Rostamian ) (07/13/88)

I am generally quite satisfied with the literary quality :-) of DEC's
manuals, program descriptions, sales pitches, etc.  So I was somewhat
taken aback when, looking up some input terminator codes for SMG
in sys$library:starlet.pas (and in smgdef.pas, too,)
I came across, among benign key names such as smg$_k_trm_lowercase_a,
smg$k_trm_dollar_sign, the key name smg$k_trm_explanation_point.

"Explanation point!" I exclamimed.  "This should be a newly invented
punctuation mark at DEC world, or a special character created by the
mysterious Compose key."  Alas, upon further investigation I discovered
that an ``Explanation Point'' is somebody's idea at DEC of what his or her
grammar teacher used to refer to as an ``exclamation point'' and
write thusly "!".

Rouben Rostamian
rostamia@umbc3.umd.edu

CADS_COLE@GALLUA.BITNET ("Kevin Cole at Gallaudet U. Washington DC") (07/20/88)

Date sent:  19-JUL-1988 17:07:40

Rouben Rostamian <rostamia@umbc3.umd.edu> writes:

>"Explanation point!" I exclamimed.  "This should be a newly invented
>punctuation mark at DEC world, or a special character created by the
>mysterious Compose key."  Alas, upon further investigation I discovered
>that an ``Explanation Point'' is somebody's idea at DEC of what his or her
>grammar teacher used to refer to as an ``exclamation point'' and
>write thusly "!".

I dunno... I kinda like it better as "Explanation point"...  Or just call it
BANG! and be done with it.  Personally, I never know whether things like that
are intentional (i.e. a joke) or not (i.e. a mistake).  I cite TECO's "MAKE
LOVE" and a debugger named DDT as two examples of the fun and frivolity that
makes DEC what they are today.

 Kevin Cole      <Flatline>           |  Bitnet: CADS_COLE@GALLUA.BITNET
 Center for Assessment and            |                  or
 Demographic Studies  (CADS)          |          KJCOLE@GALLUA.BITNET
 Gallaudet Research Institute  (GRI)  |  UUCP: ...!psuvax!gallua.bitnet!kjcole
 Washington, D.C.  20002              |  CompuServe: 76167,1406
 (202) 651-5575                       |
             "Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"