[comp.os.vms] VMS <-> Usenet!

malcolm@csdgwy.csd.unsw.oz (Malcolm Wade) (07/24/88)

In article <421@dragos.UUCP>, work@dragos.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
>   Well, we finally got a copy of News for VMS from ANU. It looks like
> a really nice package, unfortunately there are no mechanisms for transfering
> news other than NNTP. The software will unbatch Unix news batches, but it
> makes no provisions for transfering those news batches to the VMS site.

Not true. I receive my news batches from our main UNIX feed system via TCP
mail to an account on my VMS system. I have a command procedure which runs
hourly which extracts NEWMAIL from this account and the uses NEWS to process
this file. The command procedure (NEWSKIM.COM) is supplied with the
distribution. I have modified mine a bit to suit my site. This command
procedure also shows how to feed NEWS batches from one VMS system to another
via DECnet. All this is explained in the documentation. The main NEWS transfer
method between non-VMS systems is done using e-mail and PMDF. I even send
batched NEWS to another VMS system via PMDF. The mail is queued and the
other system dials us on a nightly basis using the PMDF Phonenet channel.
This works really well.

I have yet to implement the NNTP feed system yet, this is on a list of things
to do.

   |  Malcolm Wade,                    ASCnet: malcolm@csdgwy.csd.unsw.oz |
   |  VAX/VMS Systems Group,              PSI: 0505226633020::MALCOLM     |
   |  University of New South Wales,    Phone: +61 2 697 2836             |
   |  Sydney, 2033, Australia             Fax: +61 2 662 8665             |
   |  Note: I'm only doing this to improve my typing !!                   |