[comp.os.vms] Exos Mail.

"RSVAX::RSVAX::MRGATE::\"A1::BERRY,JOHN\"@gmr.COM" (07/12/88)

From:	NAME: John Berry
	FUNC: Computing Systems
	TEL: (313)986-2467        <BERRY,JOHN AT A1 AT RSVAX>

Does anyone out there have experience with using the 'EXOS mail system' to
achieve VAX/VMS to UNIX (mostly SUN workstations) mail.

Excelan tells us that we should be able to send mail in both directions
using one of our VAXs (with their board attached) as a gateway between
the TCP/IP network and our DECnet network.

What we find is that mail outgoing from the SUNs up through the EXOS board
will distribute successfully to any of our network VAXs. But, in order for
a VAX user to send to a workstation, he must first log into the VAX node to
which the EXOS board is physically attached.

If a user on any other VAX node attempts to address a workstation (using
VAXmail with EXOS% addressing), his process will hang (forever) when he
does his final CONTROL-Z to exit and send the message.

Excelan has looked at this problem, and offered no useful solutions.
Nevertheless, they insist that they have such arrangments working at other
sites.

Does anyone out there have such a setup working, or encountered and
successfully dealt with this problem?

Disclaimer - If I really knew what I was doing I would be
             doing something else, so nothing I say should
             be taken as anything but my opinion.

klb@briar.philips.com (Ken Bourque;6355;2.34d;$0332) (07/21/88)

In article <8807160715.AA24007@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "RSVAX::RSVAX::MRGATE::\"A1::BERRY,JOHN\"@gmr.COM" writes:

*
*If a user on any other VAX node attempts to address a workstation (using
*VAXmail with EXOS% addressing), his process will hang (forever) when he
*does his final CONTROL-Z to exit and send the message.
*

We use the Excelan stuff all the time and have never seen this.  Next time you
try it have a look at the DECnet server process on the bridge machine and see
if it is running Mail the way it should be.  Check the netserver.log file for
errors.  Also, try sending mail from a DECnet system to the bridge machine
using Exos mail as follows:

That will take the Suns out of the picture and test just DECnet and Exos mail.

Good luck!

Ken Bourque    klb@philabs.philips.com    ...!{uunet,decvax}!philabs!klb

liz@cgdra.ucar.edu (Liz Coolbaugh) (07/28/88)

From To::BERRY,JOHN" Wed Jul 27 11:08:58 1988
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 88 11:08:58 MDT
To: ncar!gatech!mcnc!rutgers!ucsd!ucbvax!gmr.COM!RSVAX::RSVAX::MRGATE::"A1::BERRY,
	JOHN"
Subject: Re: Exos Mail.

> Does anyone out there have experience with using the 'EXOS mail system' to
> achieve VAX/VMS to UNIX (mostly SUN workstations) mail.

Hope this helps:

We currently send mail from other VAX nodes through the one
VAX that has an Excelan board on it.  We do this using normal
DECnet routing, e.g., mailing to AAP1::EXOS%"liz@cgdra.ucar.edu"
would mail through our gateway (AAP1) out onto the Internet.

I did have a problem with this at one time, however.  I have
two machines in a cluster, AAP1 and AAP2.  I wanted my users
to be notified when mail came in on either machine, e.g. if
they were logged onto AAP2 and mail arrived on AAP1, they
would be notified.  I enabled this with the flag:

$ ASSIGN/EXEC/SYS 7 MAIL$SYSTEM_FLAGS

I then found that the routing listed above would not work!
To get rid of the problem, I removed the assignment from
our system startup files.  I'm not sure if this applies to
you, but I hope it helps!

Liz Coolbaugh
(303) 497 1327
liz@cgdra.ucar.edu