[comp.os.vms] VMS <-> Usenet

work@dragos.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) (07/19/88)

  Well, we finally got a copy of News for VMS from ANU. It looks like
a really nice package, unfortunately there are no mechanisms for transfering
news other than NNTP. The software will unbatch Unix news batches, but it
makes no provisions for transfering those news batches to the VMS site.

  In the documentation there are mentions of systems that have mail links
to pure Unix sites. Is there any software that does this VMS MAIL <-> UUCP
communication. Does anyone out there have any software that will
automatically transfer news batches from a pure Unix system to a VMS site ?

  Has anyone ever tried to do this using a kermit server as the transport
mechanism ?
  Is there anything that will let me pick up news on VMS over a LD phone
link ? The ability to post or do mail is not very important, but I'd really
like to receive news on the VMS system....

--
Dragos Ruiu   ruiu@dragos.UUCP        The first Myth of Management:
        ...alberta!dragos!ruiu					It exists.

Disclaimer: SaskPower R&D is in not responsible for my opinions or machine.

reggers@uwovax.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) (07/21/88)

We've got ANU news too and have been moving mail between Unix machines
and VMS for quite a while. Our experiences are by no means complete but,
for what it's worth, here goes.

In article <421@dragos.UUCP>, work@dragos.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:

>   Well, we finally got a copy of News for VMS from ANU. It looks like
> a really nice package, unfortunately there are no mechanisms for transfering
> news other than NNTP. The software will unbatch Unix news batches, but it
> makes no provisions for transfering those news batches to the VMS site.
>
>   In the documentation there are mentions of systems that have mail links
> to pure Unix sites. Is there any software that does this VMS MAIL <-> UUCP
> communication. Does anyone out there have any software that will
> automatically transfer news batches from a pure Unix system to a VMS site ?

Well, if you've got a mail link going you've got the problem licked.

	a) You can use the CMU/TEK IP package. (That transfers mail over
	   the ether/ip/tcp/smtp net; we use this but have our own implement-
	   ation of smtp and mail).... There are commercial IP products too.
	b) You can use Ultrix/VMS links. (That uses decnet/mail11 but I'd
	   push you towards IP compatiblity).
	c) You could use PMDF (on VMS) and talk MMDF (I known nothing about
	   this one).
	d) This is a bit bizarre but you could try urep (on Unix) into
	   JNET (on VMS).
	e) Getting USENET news via BITNET works well for us.

>   Has anyone ever tried to do this using a kermit server as the transport
> mechanism ?

We've been moving mail between Unix and VMS for several years now using this
strategy. We've got something called MLNET for Unix (BSD) that's a script
follower with embedded kermit protocols. MLNET talks to all sorts of systems
around here over dial-up; local switches; and hard links.

We have been delivering mail into VMS/MAIL (using a GATEWAY!address) syntax (but
I no longer support that one) for about 4 years now.  Over the last year (or so)
we've developed a replacement mail system for VAX/VMS which is RFC821/22
compliant and we move mail using ether/ip/tcp/smtp to our own daemon; also it
implements BSMTP (for JNET); and BSMTP (for MLNET).

>   Is there anything that will let me pick up news on VMS over a LD phone
> link ? The ability to post or do mail is not very important, but I'd really
> like to receive news on the VMS system....

sorry, don't know about this one.

huston@decus.com.au (07/28/88)

In article <421@dragos.UUCP>, work@dragos.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
>   Well, we finally got a copy of News for VMS from ANU. It looks like
> a really nice package, unfortunately there are no mechanisms for transfering
> news other than NNTP. The software will unbatch Unix news batches, but it
> makes no provisions for transfering those news batches to the VMS site.
>
>   In the documentation there are mentions of systems that have mail links
> to pure Unix sites. Is there any software that does this VMS MAIL <-> UUCP
> communication. Does anyone out there have any software that will
> automatically transfer news batches from a pure Unix system to a VMS site ?

To transfer either News batches as files or as mail items between VMS and
Unix systems is not a simple matter - and one which I was (and still am)
reluctant to re-invent just for NEWS. The following products have
been used on my site (ANU) and other sites who have posted back to me:

	CMU/Tek TCP/IP - you can use either FTP and ship the files
	    over as files, or configure the SMTP mailer, or configure
	NNTP over TCP/IP (I supply the NNTP code, but you still require
	    the transport), or you can use
	PMDF, using the mailer as the transport link.

        Virtually anything that gets files over intact, or doesn't disturb
	    the innards of mail messages will work.

>   Has anyone ever tried to do this using a kermit server as the transport
> mechanism ?
not to my knowledge, but it is possible - as long as file integrity is
preserved you can probably use it!!

By the way, Version 5.4 will be available from me early August.  This version
has a fair deal of bug fixes, and some additional commands at the user
level, and some more management options. I'm working on speed improvements
and better scanning control, and sundry other features that I've always wanted
to see in a news reader!!

Geoff Huston,
Australian National University

gih900@csc3.anu.oz