[comp.os.vms] DECNET over Telnet

dnwcv@dcatla.UUCP (William C. VerSteeg) (07/15/88)

Does anyone know if you can run asynchronous DECnet over a telnet connection?
Here is the configuration under consideration.

__________
|        |                  |-----------------------|     |
| MVAX   |-------MODEM------|Telnet terminal server |-----|
|        |                  |_______________________|     |   __________
|________|                                                |   |        |
							  |---|  VAX   |
							  |   |        |
							  |   |________|

The MVAX would run asynch DECnet just like it were connected directly the the
VAX. The MVAX would call the remote Telnet terminal server, which would
establish an IP/TCP/Telnet session to the VAX. The VAX would have to
use a Telnet session just like it would a direct terminal and run
(asynch ?)DECnet over it.

Any other way to run Decnet over a non-proprietary
link (like using an IP router to route DECNET 8-) ) would be appreciated.

Obviously this is not a high performance configuration. We are being
forced to be creative due to not having asynch ports on our new VAXEN.
The terminal servers are running Telnet in the interest of having
multi-vendor connectivity.

Thanks in advance
Bill VerSteeg

reden@sys1.TANDY.COM (07/17/88)

At one time I tried hooking up a ASYNC DECNET link over a Decserver 200
and reverse LAT.  Things would start up ok, but the link with shut down
whenever anything real was transmitted over the link.

I think the problem was that the DECserver didn't relay the information
fast enough (even at 300 baud)  I stopped trying it when we bought a
DECrouter 200, but still work on it from time to time.

I did try using a LTA device once.... it crashed the VAX (stack overflow),
(VMS 4.4) and havn't tried it recently.  My instructor at DECNET VAX internals
(see, you can get things out of those classes)  thinks it should be possible
but hasn't tried it.

hope this helps...

Robert                                                      reden@sys1.uucp

pete@tsc (Pete Schmitt) (07/19/88)

In article <-2143957@sys1>, reden@sys1.TANDY.COM writes:

> At one time I tried hooking up a ASYNC DECNET link over a Decserver 200
> and reverse LAT.  Things would start up ok, but the link with shut down
> whenever anything real was transmitted over the link.

All I can say is that running DECnet over LAT is not supported.  DECnet
doesn't like being run on top of the LAT protocol.

If you want more information, call the Customer Support Center in
Colorado Springs. 800-525-7100 and have you access number ready.

> I did try using a LTA device once.... it crashed the VAX (stack overflow),
> (VMS 4.4) and havn't tried it recently.  My instructor at DECNET VAX internals
> (see, you can get things out of those classes)  thinks it should be possible
> but hasn't tried it.

Nope, it is not possible and I know of no plans that will make this possible.

--
           \\\!///		Peter Schmitt
            _   _ 		UUCP: att!tsc!pete

rcb@rti.UUCP (Random) (07/20/88)

In article <553@tsc> pete@tsc (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>>I did try using a LTA device once.... it crashed the VAX (stack overflow),
>>(VMS 4.4) and havn't tried it recently.  My instructor at DECNET VAX internals
>>(see, you can get things out of those classes)  thinks it should be possible
>>but hasn't tried it.
>
>Nope, it is not possible and I know of no plans that will make this possible.

Well, As I said in a previous article, I have managed to make this setup
work without any real difficulty. I have run decnet out a lat port to a
decserver, out the rs232 port into the rs232 port of another decserver and
into a lat port on a second machine. I have also gone out a lat port
to a decserver, out the rs232 port to a telebit trailblazer @19.2Kbaud,
over phone lines to another trailblazer @19.2Kbaud and into a rs232 port
of a dzq11 on another microvax. With both connections, I transfered large
(over 10MB) files and used "set host" without any error counts in ncp
on either end.
--
					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103
					Research Triangle Institute

adelman@WARBUCKS.AI.SRI.COM (Kenneth Adelman) (07/22/88)

> Does anyone know if you can run asynchronous DECnet over a telnet connection?

    I don't know of anyone who has done this, but is in theory
possible.  You would need to have a VMS terminal driver on both sides
of the telnet connection. In other words, use a psuedo-terminal for
the telnet outbound as well as the telnet inbound and use SET HOST/DTE
instead of a program like TELNET which talks to the network directly.
Then you could SET TERM/SWITCH=DECNET/PROTOCOL=DDCMP and cross your
fingers.  Sounds tricky, and a kludge at best.

> Any other way to run Decnet over a non-proprietary
> link (like using an IP router to route DECNET 8-) ) would be appreciated.

    Many people have implemented DECnet over a 'non-DIGITAL' link.  I
believe Simpact runs DECnet over one of their own devices using a
special driver.  We run DECnet over IP using SRI International's
MultiNet TCP/IP.

> Obviously this is not a high performance configuration.

    I don't claim to be unbaised here because I wrote the code for
MultiNet to do this. The only performance testing I did was running
DECnet over IP between an 11/730 (yech) and an 8600 both with DEUNAs.
I tested throughput using DTSEND/DTRECV and COPY running DECnet over
the DEUNAs and then comparing it to DECnet over IP over the DEUNAs
(using the DEUNAs in a mode where they could be shared with DECnet!).
I found I was able to obtain 3/8ths the throughput with DECnet over
IP as I was with straight DECnet. I kernel profiler showed the reason
for this was that the 11/730 was spending almost 100% of the time on
the interupt stack in the Berkeley TCP code. I suspect with faster
machines or slower links the throughput would approach 100%.

    We don't have any DEC ethernet cards in our lab. We run DECnet
between our two of our VAXen using DECnet over IP via an Interlan
ethernet card.

    Of course when I go home connect by VS-2000 using Async DECnet
and run IP over DECnet to get back to SRI [which we implement in the
kernel]!

					    Kenneth Adelman
					    MultiNet project

adelman@WARBUCKS.AI.SRI.COM (Kenneth Adelman) (07/26/88)

>    Does anyone know of a workaround to prevent HPUX6.0 from interpreting
> <ESC>h as home cursor and enter insert mode while in vi.  It only seems
> to be a problem when the two keys are hit less than 1 second apart.

This is how vi is supposed to work, no?  If I'm not in insert mode already,
then <ESC>h only does a home cursor, and does NOT put me in insert mode.  If
I am already in insert mode, then <ESC>h does a home cursor and keeps me
in insert mode, as I would expect since this is how the HOME key is coded.

This problem is not a "bug", but rather an unfortunate feature of the way
vi is.  For a discussion of the roots of this "problem", see page 222 of
"Advanced UNIX Programming" by Marc J. Rochkind.

Jeff Hutchins

hcl
#! rnews 444
From: lock@hpccc.HP.COM (Bill Lock)
Newsgroups: hp.unix
Subject: HP-UX licensing revisited
Date: 26 Jul 88 16:27:12 GMT

The first response to this note is a letter from Jeff Fromm (Legal Dept)
regarding HP-UX 5.x vs HP-UX 6.x licensing.  I asked Jeff for the correct
(legal) procedure for upgrading 5.x machines to 6.x.
#! rnews 2420
From: lock@hpccc.HP.COM (Bill Lock)
Newsgroups: hp.unix
Subject: Re: HP-UX licensing revisited
Date: 26 Jul 88 16:27:25 GMT

Message.				 Dated: 07/25/88 at 1140.
Subject: HP-UX Licensing
Sender:  Jeff FROMM / HP0900/PD 	       Contents: 2.

Part 1.

FROM: Jeff FROMM / HP0900/PD

  TO: Bill LOCK / HP0000/72

Part 2.

existing in-house HP-UX computers to newer versions of HP-UX -
it is no longer OK to update earlier object code connect by VS-2000 using Async DECnet

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (07/28/88)

In article <2379@rti.UUCP> rcb@rti.UUCP (Random) writes:
>In article <553@tsc> pete@tsc (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>>>I did try using a LTA device once.... it crashed the VAX (stack overflow),
>>>(VMS 4.4) and havn't tried it recently.  My instructor at DECNET VAX internals
>>>(see, you can get things out of those classes)  thinks it should be possible
>>>but hasn't tried it.
>>
>>Nope, it is not possible and I know of no plans that will make this possible.
>>

>Well, As I said in a previous article, I have managed to make this setup
>work without any real difficulty.  ...

We soon discovered once that a DECServer 200 was installed, some key items
didn't work anymore.  One was an encryption box that required full 256 char.
ASCII pass-thru.  Our software vendor provided the following fix:
=======
PROCEDURE TO SETTING UP A PASSALL DECSERVER 200

The following procedures will set port 6 on a Decserver 200 called LAT01.

I.  DECSERVER 200 SETUP
	1.  Set privileged password -- (initial setup of DECserver 200)
		Local> SET SERVER PRIVILEGED PASSWORD
		Password> SYSTEM
		Verification> SYSTEM
		Local> LOG

	2. Log on to DECserver and set privilege
		Username> SYSTEM
		Local> SET PRIVILEGED

	3. Set DECserver 200 name if not correct -- (initial setup)
		Local> DEFINE SERVER NAME LAT01

	4.  Set port 6 configuration
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 ACCESS REMOTE BACKWARD NONE
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 FORWARD NONE BREAK DISABLED
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 FLOW DISABLED LOCAL NONE
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 AUTOBAUD DISABLED SPEED 9600
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 AUTOPROMPT DIS BROADCAST DIS
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 MESSAGE DIS LOSS NOTIFICATION DIS
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 VERIFICATION DISABLED
		Local> DEFINE PORT 6 SESSION LIMIT 1
			(allow only 1 session to be on port)
		Local> SET PORT 6 GROUP ALL DISABLED
		Local> LOGOUT PORT 6
			(logout port 6 to activate changes)
		Local> SHOW PORT 6
			(display current setting for port 6)

II. NCP program
	1.  Check that LAT01 node exists
		$ RUN NCP
		NCP> SHOW KNOWN NODES
			(if LAT01 name does not exist)
		NCP> SET NODE 2.3 NAME LAT01
		NCP> DEFINE NODE 2.3 NAME LAT01

III.  DECSERVER SETUP
	1. Check that DECserver 200 LAT01 is defined in table
		$ @DSVCONFIG
			(option 1 to list decservers)

IV. LATCP program
 1.  Run LATCP program and add port
		$ RUN LATCP
		LCP> SH SERVERS
		LCP> SET NODE LAT01
		LCP> CREATE PORT LAT6:/APPLICATION
		LCP> SET PORT LTA6:/APPLICATION/NODE=LAT01 /PORT=PORT_6
                              ^^^
				=====  I'm not sure if this is a typo!
	2.  Edit LTLOAD.COM in SYS$MANAGER directory and add the last two
		LCP command lines above.

V.  Define terminal port LTA6: before using. (This suggests above is NOT
	a typo!)
	$ SET TERM LTA6: /PERM /SPEED=(9600,9600) /EIGHTBIT
	$ SET TERM LTA6: /PERM /PASSALL /PASTHRU /NOHOSTSYNC /NOECHO
	$ SET TERM LTA6: /PERM /NOTTSYNC /NOSCOPE /NOESCAPE /NOTAB

Good luck!

--
Rob Lake
BP Research International - Research Center Warrensville

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (07/29/88)

In article <880721104919.bc@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM> Adelman@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM (Kenneth Adelman) writes:
>> Does anyone know if you can run asynchronous DECnet over a telnet connection?
>
>    I don't know of anyone who has done this, but is in theory
>possible.  You would need to have a VMS terminal driver on both sides
>of the telnet connection. In other words, use a psuedo-terminal for
>the telnet outbound as well as the telnet inbound and use SET HOST/DTE
>instead of a program like TELNET which talks to the network directly.
>Then you could SET TERM/SWITCH=DECNET/PROTOCOL=DDCMP and cross your
>fingers.  Sounds tricky, and a kludge at best.

This will work if and only if the Telnet package in question implements its
pseudoterminals via a terminal port driver that sits under the standard VMS
terminal class driver.  Async DDCMP is implemented as a class driver that
replaces the terminal class driver for the ports in question.  If Telnet's
pseudoterminal implementation doesn't work this way, there's no way async
DDCMP can be used with it... but if it does, it should work just fine.