[comp.os.vms] DEQNA timeouts

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (07/14/88)

I'm trying to run the CMU/Tektronix TCP/IP package (V6.3) on MicroVAXen
with DEQNAs.  On most of them it starts and runs fine.  However, on
a couple of them, the IPACP starts, and then exits right away with
"XE read error, RC=00000A00".

Going through the sources reveals that return code to be equivalent
to XM$M_STS_ACTIVE|XM$M_STS_TIMO.  The XM$M_STS_ACTIVE is OK; the
XM$M_STS_TIMO is what it is objecting to.

The I/O user's guide says that this return means something like "a
DEUNA/DEQNA timeout has occurred".  I'm not sure what that means, and
I can't find any further explaination.  What is timing out?  Is my
hardware broken?

Thanks,
--Pat.

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (07/14/88)

In article <2946@ci.sei.cmu.edu> pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) writes:

>I'm trying to run the CMU/Tektronix TCP/IP package (V6.3) on MicroVAXen
>with DEQNAs.  On most of them it starts and runs fine.  However, on
>a couple of them, the IPACP starts, and then exits right away with
>"XE read error, RC=00000A00".

	Known error, change all occurences of %0FF to %0FD in order to mask
out the timout bit.  This most often happens on LAVC clusters. This timeout bit
is a hold over from the DMC code from which it was derive (notice the XM$...).

-ed cetron
cetron@cs.utah.edu

info-vax-RELAY@KL.SRI.COM (07/21/88)

In article <2946@ci.sei.cmu.edu>sei!pdb@pt.cs.cmu.edu  (Patrick Barron)
writes:
>I'm trying to run the CMU/Tektronix TCP/IP package (V6.3) on MicroVAXen
>with DEQNAs.  On most of them it starts and runs fine.  However, on
>a couple of them, the IPACP starts, and then exits right away with
>"XE read error, RC=00000A00".

>Going through the sources reveals that return code to be equivalent
>to XM$M_STS_ACTIVE|XM$M_STS_TIMO.  The XM$M_STS_ACTIVE is OK; the
>XM$M_STS_TIMO is what it is objecting to.

>The I/O user's guide says that this return means something like "a
>DEUNA/DEQNA timeout has occurred".  I'm not sure what that means, and
>I can't find any further explaination.  What is timing out?  Is my
>hardware broken?

   In a word, probably!  Your problems with the DEQNA's are most likely
due to their not having a required FCO.  Without the FCO, DEQNA's are
brain dead, with the ECO they are merely brain damaged.  DEQNA's at
revision level D or earlier will need FCO DEQNA-R-001.

    DEQNA,s tend to fail under heavy load.  The FCO upgrades them
somewhat but does not correct the problem completely.

   DEC's new Ethernet controller for the Q-BUS, the DELQA, is supposed
to work much better

   There is a mailing list for CMU/TEK TCP/IP users.  The list is
cmu-tek-tcp@c.cs.cmu.edu.  The request address is cmu-tek-tcp-request....

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (07/29/88)

In article <8807271158.AA05174@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> dragon@NSCVAX.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
|>>The I/O user's guide says that this return means something like "a
|>>DEUNA/DEQNA timeout has occurred".  I'm not sure what that means, and
|>>I can't find any further explaination.  What is timing out?  Is my
|>>hardware broken?
|>
|>   In a word, probably!  Your problems with the DEQNA's are most likely
|>due to their not having a required FCO.  Without the FCO, DEQNA's are
|>brain dead, with the ECO they are merely brain damaged.  DEQNA's at
|>revision level D or earlier will need FCO DEQNA-R-001.

Even worse than being brain damaged, DEQNA's won't be supported by VMS
in about a year, according to the VMS 5.0 release notes!  Right now, you
are supposed to enable software error detection on DEQNA's (especially in
LAVC environments) by setting a sysgen parameter.  My suggestion would
be to upgrade to the DELQA as soon as possible rather than bringing the
DEQNA up to FCO.

| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: gil@limbic.UUCP              |