[net.dcom] Serial line gateways for Ethernets

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/28/85)

In article <360@nrcvax.UUCP>, geoffb@nrcvax.UUCP (G. Geoffrey Baehr) writes:
>                                          If you want to gateway down to a
> slow speed link, gateway back out to another net , using XNS, you're in
> good shape. Any other combination is 'interesting'.

Sun sells an Internetwork Router that runs in a pair of Suns (one on
either end of a serial link) that handles TCP/IP gatewaying without
being especially 'interesting'.  It can run at low speeds (9600) using
the serial ports on the CPU board, or for 56KBit operation a comm board
with its own processor is supported.

jr@sun.uucp (John Reed) (10/30/85)

In article <227@l5.uucp> gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>In article <360@nrcvax.UUCP>, geoffb@nrcvax.UUCP (G. Geoffrey Baehr) writes:
>>                                          If you want to gateway down to a
>> slow speed link, gateway back out to another net , using XNS, you're in
>> good shape. Any other combination is 'interesting'.
>
>Sun sells an Internetwork Router that runs in a pair of Suns (one on
>either end of a serial link) that handles TCP/IP gatewaying without
>being especially 'interesting'.  It can run at low speeds (9600) using
>the serial ports on the CPU board, or for 56KBit operation a comm board
>with its own processor is supported.

A minor correction to John Gilmore's message -

The Sun Internetwork Router runs at speeds up to 230 Kbits using the
associated comm board.

JR.
--
...!{ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!sun!jr (John M. Reed)
Sun Microsystems Inc, 2550 Garcia Ave, MS5-40, Mountain View, CA, 94043

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (10/30/85)

      We've been testing the Bridge IP gateway; it's probably adequate now for
users who just want to interconnect multiple Ethernets equipped with 4.2BSD
machines, but is not yet general enough to handle interconnection with the
general ARPANET/Internet community.  But we've given them some advice, and
they are going back to put in more general routing, subnets, etc.  Stay tuned
for futher developments.  I expect we'll get a few of these boxes once they
get them upgraded to handle all the hard cases.

					John Nagle

cak@purdue.UUCP (Christopher A. Kent) (10/31/85)

If you're out to put gateways into your internet, let me recommend
the products from the folks at Proteon. Their boxes are based on lsi11 or
68K technology, and the person responsible (Noel Chiappa) has been building
gateways for many years. He know what he's doing. The current release
interacts with 4.2's routed, so you can just drop the gateway in and
your VAXen will still understand what's going on.

Contact him as jnc@proteon.ARPA for more info.

chris