[comp.os.vms] VMS 5.0 Memory Requirements?

EPRF@SNYCENVM.BITNET (Peter Flass) (07/26/88)

I just came across the following in "Rumor Roundup" in this week's
_Digital_Review_, anyone care to comment?

  "...a friend of mine who owns a VAX-11/730 called to say he's not
   happy about the hidden costs associated with installing VMS
   version 5.0.  According to my friend VMS V4.6 took up about
   15 percent of his system's memory, while he figures version 5.0
   may take up as much as 40 percent of his system's memory.
     Now my pal says the VAX-11/730 has only 5MB of memory..."

       - Pete

|    Peter Flass                       BITnet:   EPRF@SNYCENVM (preferred)    |
|    Director of Computing Services    INTERnet: ESCFLASS@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU |
|    SUNY Empire State College         AT&Tnet:  (518)587-2100 X350           |
|    2 Union Avenue                                                           |
|    Saratoga Springs  NY  12866       "this space for rent"                  |

goog@a.cs.okstate.edu (GOOG ??) (08/04/88)

In article <8808031223.AA26697@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> EPRF@SNYCENVM.BITNET (Peter Flass) writes:

>I just came across the following in "Rumor Roundup" in this week's
>_Digital_Review_, anyone care to comment?
>
>  "...a friend of mine who owns a VAX-11/730 called to say he's not
>   happy about the hidden costs associated with installing VMS
>   version 5.0.  According to my friend VMS V4.6 took up about
>   15 percent of his system's memory, while he figures version 5.0
>   may take up as much as 40 percent of his system's memory.
>     Now my pal says the VAX-11/730 has only 5MB of memory..."

Well I just showed mem on my VAX 11/750 with 5 Mb and it states that:
2304 pages are permanantly allocated to VMS.  Out of 10240 pages that is
more like 21 percent or so.  I think that they were a little off in the
Rumor Roundup.

Steve Koinm				Internet:  goog@a.cs.okstate.edu
Systems Administrator				steve@nemo.math.okstate.edu
Department of Mathematics
Oklahoma State University		UUCP: rutgers!okstate!goog
Stillwater, OK  74078
Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.