[comp.os.vms] WHY ARE

brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (08/03/88)

   Some time ago there was a video called "Why are there 36 bits?"
(or someting like that) shown at DECUS.  I never saw it - too many
other things going on I guess.  Anyone remember it?
   Anyway, we are planning a "wake" for our KL which will me retired
at the end of the month.  Seems like a suitable presentation for such
a solemn occasion.  Assuming it exists, could I get a copy?  And soon!
Please reply to me with any hints you may have.  If you would like to
see it too, I'll post again about where I find it (if I do).  Thanks.
Brent.

budd@BU-IT.BU.EDU (08/08/88)

I was once asked a similar question when I was at a party of VMS types
and it came out that I worked for LCG.  Someone asked "what do you use
the extra 4 bits for?".  Before I could compose a better answer some
semi-enlightened soul shouted "no-ops!!"

I guess you had to be there.
			-Phil

brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (08/08/88)

In article <524@uwovax.uwo.ca>, brent@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>    Some time ago there was a video called "Why are there 36 bits?"
> (or someting like that) shown at DECUS.  I never saw it - too many
> other things going on I guess.  Anyone remember it?
>    Anyway, we are planning a "wake" for our KL which will me retired
> at the end of the month.  Seems like a suitable presentation for such
> a solemn occasion.  Assuming it exists, could I get a copy?  And soon!
> Please reply to me with any hints you may have.  If you would like to
> see it too, I'll post again about where I find it (if I do).  Thanks.
> Brent.
   Unfortunately I've heard from the most likely source of the tape.
Reed Powell, DEC, has indicated that the tape was originally intended
for internal use only, and that some effort was required to make it
available for the 25th anniversary symposium.  It also will not be easy
to locate, even if it could be sprung loose administratively.  Pity.  I
think a *lot* of people would have enjoyed it.
   So lay my query to rest.  (Unless, of course, you have a bootlegged
copy to loan. :-)  Thanks to everyone who cared enough to point me at
Reed.  Brent.