[comp.os.vms] VAXstations now 8 user minimum license

SEYMOUR@phast.phys.washington.EDU (07/16/88)

(seeing an delayed question about upgrading a 3200's 2-user license...)

Earlier this week DEC sent a memo to our salesman announcing a policy
change:  all VAXstations/Workstations would come with an 8 (eight!)
user license.  This is probably to compete with Sun's cheap multi-user lic.

The memo said it was "grandfathered" to orders placed before the date
of announcement, but did not go into detail as to whether existing
installations would be upgraded.

This may only apply to the "educational" market.  Ask your salespeople.

-- dick seymour   seymour@uwaphast    (with 3200's on order)

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) (08/09/88)

In article <8808040112.AA10286@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>, SEYMOUR@phast.phys.washington.EDU writes:
> (seeing an delayed question about upgrading a 3200's 2-user license...)
>
> Earlier this week DEC sent a memo to our salesman announcing a policy
> change:  all VAXstations/Workstations would come with an 8 (eight!)
> user license.  This is probably to compete with Sun's cheap multi-user lic.
>
> The memo said it was "grandfathered" to orders placed before the date
> of announcement, but did not go into detail as to whether existing
> installations would be upgraded.
>
> This may only apply to the "educational" market.  Ask your salespeople.
>
> -- dick seymour   seymour@uwaphast    (with 3200's on order)

YES, THIS APPLIES TO EDUCATIONAL MARKET ONLY.  DEC informed us some time
ago of this license change.  At that time they made it clear it was an
educational market policy.  As to the details (such as "are you part
of the DEC educational market" you should always consult the "horse's
mouth."