[comp.os.vms] LATCP Servers

efb@suned1.UUCP (Everett F. Batey II) (09/01/88)

I have 2 MicroVax 2s (MV2A and MV2B).  Originally MV2A was alone and first
fed my DS200s their boot loads.  Later I added MV2B.  I thought I had made
MV2B the boot host, until today when MV2A was off line from the ethernet.
I could not reboot a DS200 server till MV2A returned.  All noticeable
conditions and parameters from SYSGEN (conn LTA0/NOADAPT), NCP, LATCP,
the DSVCONFIG.DAT databases in MOM$LOAD and the binaries are alike.  The file
protections look the same.  The servers, afterboot hold the AA-..-..-..-..-..
number of MV2A in the SHOW SERVER STATs or whichever it is that shows where
the server booted.  The clincher that PROVES I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING is
when in NCP I attempt to TRIGGER or LOAD NODE server_name VIA QNA-0.  When
I do so from MV2A, I get no errors; when I try from MV2B, I get NML... error
messages which I think pertained to line or circuit.

Would greatly appreciate some bright ideas.

--
 suned1!efb@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov   sun!tsunami!suned1!efb   efbatey@NSWSES.ARPA
    Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not those of the

jim@b11.UUCP (Jim Levie ) (09/03/88)

In article <544@suned1.UUCP>, efb@suned1.UUCP (Everett F. Batey II) writes:

> I have 2 MicroVax 2s (MV2A and MV2B).  Originally MV2A was alone and first
> fed my DS200s their boot loads.  Later I added MV2B.  I thought I had made
> MV2B the boot host, until today when MV2A was off line from the ethernet.
> I could not reboot a DS200 server till MV2A returned.  All noticeable
> conditions and parameters from SYSGEN (conn LTA0/NOADAPT), NCP, LATCP,
> the DSVCONFIG.DAT databases in MOM$LOAD and the binaries are alike.

Hmm... seems like I've been here before.  I'll guess that when you acquired
the second microvax you copied your system from the MV2A rather than install
everything from scratch.  If this is the case, then the problem lies in the
way the down-line loader task accesses the load image and other information.
It appears that all of the data items that the loader needs are kept as
absolute data in the data bases, even moving the system from one type disk to
another on the same system will prevent loading since the disk name has
changed.

The solution is really fairly simple. Go back to the distribution for the
decserver support and reinstall it.  I usually delete the existing version
first, but that's probably not necessary.

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Jim Levie   REMTECH Inc  Huntsville, Al

efb@suned1.UUCP (Everett F. Batey II) (09/05/88)

Recently I posted a querie re LATCP booting DecServer (DS200MCs, I Love 'Em)
from the correct load host.

.. Trying to LOAD / TRIGGER ( from NCP ) on desired host ..
> I do so from MV2A, I get no errors; when I try from MV2B, I get NML... error
> messages which I think pertained to line or circuit.

I offer this posting for two reasons.  (1) I am not able to respond and thank
Hannu Hirvonen in Vaasa, Finland whose first RIGHT answer reached me in less
than 12 hours from when I posted my question to netnews (USENET), directly.
(2) So many others of you kindly replied whom I could not hope to thank
directly.

My boss was impressed with the value of netnews. Thanks to all those who
responded.

RIGHT ANSWER: You don't have service enabled on MV2B's QNA-0 circuit/line. Do:

$ MCR NCP
NCP> DEFINE LINE QNA-0 SERVICE ENABLED
NCP> DEFINE CIRCUIT QNA-0 SERVICE ENABLED
NCP> SET LINE QNA-0 SERVICE ENABLED
NCP> SET CIRCUIT QNA-0 SERVICE ENABLED
NCP> EXIT

I did and it worked.

My STARTNET.COM, never learned the lines prefaced NCP>.  My database
DSVCONFIG.DAT was good, DECNET was running, I could inbound and outbound
LAT connect from DS200s, DEPCAs to/from MicroVAXen, just got ragged at
when trying to LOAD or TRIGGER from desired host.

If only DS200s spoke TELNET / RLOGIN, the garbage at this site could go
to the dump.  Thanks DEC for a GOOD product.  Always performs.

THANKS to ..
    HANNU@VAKK.UWASA.FI          Hannu Hirvonen, System Manager
    HIRVONEN@FINFUN.BITNET       Computer Centre, University of Vaasa
                                 SF-65101 VAASA, Finland

Tried to reply thru Mamlet as the path came back to me:
   <elroy!Hamlet.Caltech.Edu!HANNU%vakk.UWASA.FI> but .. it failed.