[comp.os.vms] TCP for VMS/Eunice

paisley@cme-durer.ARPA (Scott Paisley) (10/03/88)

We have a vax 785 running VMS 4.7 and Eunice 4.3.1.  This critter
co-exists on our ethernet here with lots of suns and other ethernet
type thingys.  We have recently had some problems with the Wollongon's
implementation.  (mainly old bugs re-occurring in new releases, and
lack of help at their end. - so I'm told by the people here who have
delt with them.)  Our main problem as of late has been this.  When we
telnet from our suns (OS - Unix) to the Vax (OS VMS) it works fine
until you hit a cntl-c or cntl-y.  This will lock up the window on the
sun completely!  This problem occurred after installing a new version
of the Wollongon software.

We would like to find an alternative.  The solution must be able to
handle the following:

   o we would like this solution to run in a cluster environment (on the
     off chance that this system ever gets upgraded

   o we would like the solution to be able to use RBMS (DEC's Remote
     Bridge Management System).  I'm told that there is a dec board
     that will not be supported soon.  We don't want to get locked into
     that one.

   o works with EUNICE, in some acceptable fashion.

I did see one solution here in comp.os.vms that suggested using a
microvax running ultrix and using that as a gateway to our existing
vax.  Anyone have any comments on this idea?  Pros/cons?

What about Excellan?  I know nothing about it.  Where can I get info
about it?  (ie what's their phone number :-)

Thanks for all the replies in advance, I'll summerize to the net if
other people show interest too.
--
Scott Paisley		ARPA : paisley@cme-durer.arpa (preferred)
			BITNET : paisley@cmeamrf

"Super Science mingles with the bright stuff of dreams."

tody@noao.edu (Doug Tody X217) (10/07/88)

In article <654@web.cme-durer.ARPA>, paisley@cme-durer.ARPA (Scott Paisley) writes:
> We have a vax 785 running VMS 4.7 and Eunice 4.3.1.  This critter
> co-exists on our ethernet here with lots of suns and other ethernet
> type thingys.  We have recently had some problems with the Wollongon's
> implementation.  (mainly old bugs re-occurring in new releases, and
> lack of help at their end. - so I'm told by the people here who have
> delt with them.)  Our main problem as of late has been this.  When we
> telnet from our suns (OS - Unix) to the Vax (OS VMS) it works fine
> until you hit a cntl-c or cntl-y.  This will lock up the window on the
> sun completely!  This problem occurred after installing a new version
> of the Wollongon software.

The problem with telnet from a Sun to the VMS VAX is in the telnet program
distributed with SunOS 3.X - there is no flow control.  This is fixed
in SunOS 4.0, which includes the BSD4.3 telnet.  Another way around the
problem is to buy SunLink/DNI (DECNET) from Sun, and use the 'dnalogin'
(or whatever it is called) to login on the VAX.  The SunLink stuff has
problems of its own, though, and isn't available yet for SunOS 4.0.

	Doug Tody