[comp.os.vms] Error count on TK50s

ockenden@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Paul T Ockenden) (10/13/88)

We've just a very interesting conversation with DEC (here in the UK)
after one of our TK50 drives went wrong (for about the 6th time in
2 years).

We noticed that we were getting a fairly high error count, even on the
new drive the engineer just installed, so we 'phoned round various DEC
departments to find out what the acceptable error rate for TK50s was...

DEC say that it's normally 50-72 (don't ask me how they got 72!!) for a
TK50, and 'anything over 100' for TK70s...

Now whilst I realise that these are soft errors, and nearly always they
turn out to be recoverable, the added processing (plus tape positioning)
involved in servicing 70 errors must increase the backup time considerably.
(or am I wrong ???)

What have DEC told other users for an acceptable error rate for TK drives ??

Incidentally....... While the DEC engineer was in fixing the TK50, he let
slip that he pays more visits to clients fixing the 'supposedly' more
reliable TK70 drives than he does TK50s.... As TK70s are fairly new to
the UK, and as we've got one on order, can anyone comment for me on just
how reliable they are ???

	Thanks...
.

--
Paul Ockenden                          uucp : ....uunet!prlb2!prlhp1!ockenden
Software type person                            ....mcvax!ukc!prlhp1!ockenden

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (10/19/88)

In article <654@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> ockenden@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Paul T Ockenden) writes:
>We've just a very interesting conversation with DEC (here in the UK)
>after one of our TK50 drives went wrong (for about the 6th time in
>2 years).

We've had ours for over 2 years now without a failure.  There was an
infantile failure in the original when the little strap that grabs
the leader got shredded.  They replaced the whole drive because at
the time the part was not available except as part of the drive.

>Now whilst I realise that these are soft errors, and nearly always they
>turn out to be recoverable, the added processing (plus tape positioning)
>involved in servicing 70 errors must increase the backup time considerably.
>(or am I wrong ???)

I haven't noticed any degradation in the backup time.  The tape seems
to be in streaming mode every time I listen to it.  The thing that
made the real difference was when DEC rewrote the Ultrix TK50 driver a few
versions back.  The first couple versions of Ultrix couldn't even get
the TK50 going in streaming mode for backups.

>What have DEC told other users for an acceptable error rate for TK drives ??

I haven't been given any specific numbers other than our service
engineer telling me that the error rates I was seeing in the logs
were normal, whatever that means.

>As TK70s are fairly new to
>the UK, and as we've got one on order, can anyone comment for me on just
>how reliable they are ???

We've had our 3600 with a TK70 for about 6 months now and the drive
hasn't failed yet.  I have had two strange lockups in the controller
that required a reboot of the system to cure.  Other than that, no
problems.  In contradiction to the higher error counts that DEC said
were common with the TK70, I can only say that I very seldom see any
tape errors in the error logs on the 3600 with the TK70, but our MVAX
II, with the TK50, error logs are full of tape read errors.
--
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   PHONE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (10/21/88)

  Put a hold on the TK70 order & try one of these.

  I was about to order a tk70 to increase backup/restore speed when I happened
  on the TD Systems/Exabyte 8mm tape drive combo - cost was $4k Us$ - performance
  claims were astounding so I decided with some skepticism to try one.
  Wow. 5disk 300 meg dump took 53 mins on 1/6th of a $10 tape vs 3.5hrs on 4
  $30 tapes and now the good news - read ahead to the last file on the tape
  took 3mins vs 45 for the tk50. The error rate seems about the same, the
  controller logic & tape position take a bit longer but once it is rolling
  it is fast, and so far very reliable. Installation was the absolute easiest
  board plugin I have ever done. The VMS procedure is well documented in the
  TD manuals, I would be glad to post the Ultrix/Unix procedures.
  I will send you US vendor names if you want - UPS will put it in your
  hands in a week.
  Hurf Sheldon

       Hurf Sheldon       Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
       Lab of Plasma Studies      Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION
       369 Upson Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853  ph:607 255 7267
       I sold my Elan, got a job in science; Now, no one takes me seriously.

ps: I haven't tried to boot from this drive yet so you may want to hang onto
    the tk50 for distributions etc - we happen to have another system with a
    tk50 we can use.
pps;
	Tried mail to you with no luck - try sending to me directly so I
	can see a return path.