[comp.os.vms] FUSION IP s/w reliability: "improving" ?

brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) (01/07/89)

   This is a further posting about VMS 5.0 instability and FUSION ip s/w.
   In an earlier posting I wrote:
> SUMMARY: Do *NOT* purchase FUSION IP s/w for VMS 5.x and SMP at this time!
> =======     -----          ---------------------------------
	At this time FUSION has been logged into our system on several
	occasions.  I understand that a patch has been developed to fix
	the system crashes.  Whether we get it installed before the end
	of our working day remains to be seen.  (Our time zone is a 3 hour
	offset from their's.  This seems to have had some impact on FUSION's
	ability to talk to us.)  After this patch is installed we will be
	in a better position to judge their ability to address other apparent
	shortcomings in their s/w.
>    I will not go into the functionality problems which exist.  They are
> worthy of a separate posting anyway.
	I will post this list at a later date.  There seems to be some
	committment at this time from the technical people in FUSION to
	look into the list.  But solving the crashes obviously takes
	precedence.  Once FUSION comments on our list of their apparent
	shortcomings (which we may be able to work around), I will better
	be able to comment on their product.
>    In fact, it is interesting to note that perception is at least as important
> as fact.  Our sense of frustration would be much alleviated if FUSION would at
> least talk to us, whether or not they were actually making progress with our
> problems.  It is also interesting to note that DEC have been *VERY* cooperative
> in examining our crash dumps and suggesting ways to capture more information
> to assist FUSION.  DEC is to be commended here (London Ontario area).
	It is precisely this perception which has now changed.  FUSION's
	technical people are talking to our technical people.  I don't know
	as I write this that their patch will fix the crash problem.  But
	now I feel better about the situation!
>    I will follow up this posting as things develop.  Brent.
	You can count on that!  b.
--
Brent Sterner
Technical Support Manager, Academic Systems

rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (H. L. Rogers) (01/11/89)

In article <1212@uwovax.uwo.ca> brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) writes:

>							       I don't know
>	as I write this that their patch will fix the crash problem.

I predict the patch will fix the crash problem.  I also predict it will
break something else.
--
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (01/11/89)

       This is reminiscent of the troubles that I had with FUSION software
about five years ago, when they offered an IP/TCP for the IBM PC.  They
were satisfied with a product that worked across an Ethernet connected
to a Berkeley UNIX system; the notion that their product should work in
a broad Internet environment was completely foreign to them at the time.

       One hopes by now that their horizons have broadened.

					John Nagle