[comp.os.vms] DECwindows: session manager

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (01/20/89)

Summary:session manager slooow
Expires:
In article <2601@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>Now we're getting somewhere... :-)  As I think I mentioned earlier, DECWINDOWS
>on VMS in the current announced version only supports DECnet.  DECwindows under
>ULTRIX (X11, plus the XUI stuff, etc etc) supports both
>
>Fred

  A side point the session manager under Ultrix is very expensive.  I am
using a VAXStation II with 6M of memory.  With the session manager as my
startup window I was losing about 25% of the characters that I was
typing, at HUNT and PECK speeds!!  I thought that memory was the problem
and used vmstat and saw no paging problems but ~300 system calls a
second.  Commented out the ttys line that starts the session manager and
uncommented the line that just uses a xterm window.  It's working fine
now.
   Does anyone know how to do this under DECWindows on VMS?

--
Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615