[comp.os.vms] Bug in GNU emacs for VMS?

warner@hydrovax.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) (01/27/89)

Is there any reason to have RIGHTLIST.DAT open all the time while emacs is
running under VMS?  I just did a SHOW DEVICE/FILES on my system disk an
noticed that rightslist.dat was open for each and every process running EMACS.

Also, is there a sharable version of EMACS that shares as much memory
as possible?  Or do I just have to INSTALL it /SHARED and life is good.

Versions:
	VAX C 2.2
	VMS 4.5
	EMACS 18.51 (GNU)
--
Warner Losh
warner@hydrovax.nmt.edu		...!unmvax!nmtsun!warner%hydrovax

hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (02/03/89)

In article <1746@nmtsun.nmt.edu> warner@hydrovax.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) writes:
>Is there any reason to have RIGHTLIST.DAT open all the time while emacs is
>running under VMS?  I just did a SHOW DEVICE/FILES on my system disk an
>noticed that rightslist.dat was open for each and every process running EMACS.

   It is VMS, not EMACS, which is leaving RIGHTSLIST.DAT open.  When you (or
   EMACS) call a system service which accesses RIGHTSLIST.DAT it is left
   open until the image exits (under the assumption that you will be accessing
   it again).  This is so you get:

     OPEN ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS CLOSE
     first call    2nd    3rd   ...                        image exit

   rather than:

     OPEN ACCESS CLOSE OPEN ACCESS CLOSE OPEN ACCESS CLOSE ....
     first call            2nd                 3rd         ....

John Hascall
ISU Comp Center