[comp.os.vms] VMS compress or compact needed

jwp@larry.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) (02/17/89)

I have asked this before, without much luck...
I need to send files from a VMS vax to an Ultrix vax using kermit.
The files are large, and highly redundant in content (much white space,
etc).  I need a compress on the VMS side, and a corresponding
uncompress on the Ultrix side.

Now, the VMS side is pretty limited.  No C compiler, for example.
Just the DEC Fortran compiler.

Does anyone have programs for each side of this transfer problem?
Maybe a binary for the VMS side?  I don't know a lot about VMS,
so I wouldn't be able to do a lot of hacking to get something to
work.  That is, the VMS side would pretty much have to be treated
as a black box.  Can anyone help me out?
--
Jeff Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu)

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (02/17/89)

In article <517@larry.UUCP> jwp@larry.UUCP (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>I need to send files from a VMS vax to an Ultrix vax using kermit.
>The files are large, and highly redundant in content (much white space,
>etc).  I need a compress on the VMS side, and a corresponding
>uncompress on the Ultrix side.

ZOO would be a good choice for the job.

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-8638