[comp.os.vms] SETUSER/BECOME wanted

fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) (02/13/89)

Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the SETUSER and/or BECOME
program for VMS, preferably 5.0?  I would appreciate any help with
this....

--
---------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Tim Russell, Computer Operator  | Internet: russell%zeus@fergvax.unl.edu

guy@b11.INGR.COM (Guy Streeter) (02/18/89)

In article <665@unocss.UUCP> fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the SETUSER and/or BECOME
>program for VMS, preferably 5.0?

I wrote one of these, and it works on my (4.5 - 5.0) systems, but I have
some reservations about distributing it.

First of all, if I distribute source I can't distribute the routine that
hashes the password, because I took it directly from the VMS source.
Most of the other stuff it does I figured out how to do by looking at the
VMS source, so I don't know if I could give it out without violating
an agreement with DEC.

I don't run any of the super-security stuff on my VMS systems, so I
haven't tried to see if it will work in those circumstances.

I suppose I could give out the executable, but then people would want me
to support it, and I'm not interested because I hardly every use it
(or VMS) anymore.

I don't think that anyone has such a program that they're willing to
guarantee, because it's really a major hack.  The VMS system is simply
not prepared for a process to suddenly have another user's context.
You wouldn't believe how many places (and more in every release) you have
to change in user and system space.

--
Guy Streeter
...uunet!ingr!b11!guy