[comp.os.vms] DES Busting

vinsci@abo.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (02/27/89)

[cross-posted to comp.os.vms & comp.misc]

In article <15057@cup.portal.com>, Tim_C_May@cup.portal.com writes:
> Saying that a Cray can do it in tens of hours is wrong (roughly 10 to the
> 17th keys need to be examined...figure it from there).

  I remember someone stating that DES had been broken over in the USSR,
with a PC, in only a few hours. *IF* my memory serves me right, the algorithm
(cluster-something) was published in one of their journals. Also, in the
message, probably posted in sci.crypt or comp.os.vms (info-vax), the name of
the journal was given.

  I searched my arhive, but had no luck. Anyone else remembering this?

--
Leonard Norrgaard, vinsci@abo.fi, vinsci@finabo.bitnet, +358-21-654474, EET.