[comp.os.vms] AlisaTalk questions

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) (03/23/89)

Having just seen a demo of Alisatalk, combined with PC's running PCSA, I have a
few questions:

1)  Printing:
    - When a file is printed using a VMS print queue
      - Who is charged for it?  (The Alisatalk APC ?)
      - What control does a user in a Mac application have?  Are there any Desk
        Accessories that allow queue status, removal of jobs etc.?

2)  License management:
    - Are there any facilities under Alisa similar to the "floating license
      count" of PCSA, whereby the system allows n simultaneous users of a given
      package?

3)  Mail:
    - Can Quickmail be used over Alisa so the Mac has a transparent interface
      to VMS Mail?
    - Are any other Mail facilities available?

4)  Scripting:
    - Does Alisa offer any command language such that backups of local disks
      could be automated (to Virtual Disks).
    - Is MacroMaker compatible with Alisa?  - It could be a reasonable
      substitute for a proper scripting language.

5)  Performance:
    - I am a little concerned about the performance of the Alisashare disks
      when large Macintosh volumes are being used.  We have had bad experiences
      with Pacershare suffering severe degradation of folder-opening.
    - Ok, so it's fast over Ethernet.  Anyone able to comment on Alisa vs Pacer
      speed over Localtalk.

6)  Comms Hardware Compatibility:
    - In a Localtalk system, what gateways will run Alisa?
    - Does PhoneNet cause problems with Alisa?

Many thanks for any help offered.  Once we have acquired some knowledge
ourselves I'll be happy to answer these sort of questions - give us about 6
months (I hope).

cetron@wasatch.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (03/23/89)

In article <568200@vaxa.uwa.oz> a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent) writes:
	I was one of the original beta sites, and the Univ of Utah has been
running (in places) Alisatalk ever since.  I left before the last major update
(for V5) so I might be a tad out-of-date....

>    - When a file is printed using a VMS print queue
>      - Who is charged for it?  (The Alisatalk APC ?)
		This used to be a problem since the APC 'daemon' would show
	as user.  I recall Alisa has/had plans to fix this.

>      - What control does a user (Mac) application have?  Are there any Desk
>        Accessories that allow queue status, removal of jobs etc.?
		None as of the last release, this must all be done from the
	VAX end (but then we all have MAC II's with multiple windows right? :-)

>2)  License management:
>    - Are there any facilities under Alisa similar to the "floating license
>    count" of PCSA, whereby the system allows n simultaneous users of a given
>      package?
	None that I recall (unless implemented with standard appleshare
	facilities).

>3)  Mail:
>    - Can Quickmail be used over Alisa so the Mac has a transparent interface
>      to VMS Mail?
>    - Are any other Mail facilities available?
		This was being worked on and from what I here is either
	available or almost available.

>4)  Scripting:
>    - Does Alisa offer any command language such that backups of local disks
>      could be automated (to Virtual Disks).
>    - Is MacroMaker compatible with Alisa?  - It could be a reasonable
>      substitute for a proper scripting language.
		The backup of remote volumes (on the VAX) can be scripted
	using DCL command procedures.  MacroMaker should be compatible, and if
	you could write a routine/macro to back up you local volumes to a
	remote volume, all is well.  We had several users who would manually
	backup their entire user files from their 20-30 Meg hard disks to a
	volume/folder on the server and then let the VAX automated backup
	save it to 9-track.

>5)  Performance:
>    - I am a little concerned about the performance of the Alisashare disks
>     when large Macintosh volumes are being used.  We have had bad experiences
>      with Pacershare suffering severe degradation of folder-opening.
>  - Ok, so it's fast over Ethernet.  Anyone able to comment on Alisa vs Pacer
>      speed over Localtalk.
		We ran it exclusively over localtalk <-> Kinetics <-> ethertalk
	and after MANY benchmarking sessions determined the major bottleneck
	was the KFPS-2 gateway.  I hear the new -4 is MUCH faster.  We would
	consistently get rates significantly faster than a local floppy, and
	somewhat slower than a local hard disk. Once the gateway bottleneck
	is fixed, then the localtalk causes problems.  I have worked with Pacer
	and Alisa;  Pacer is MUCH less standarized, is not fully appleshare
	compatible, and is MUCH slower than Alisa.  But let us not forget the
	reality that we are talking a localtalk-based fileserver in this case
	and even the appleshare servers have this same problem.

>6)  Comms Hardware Compatibility:
>    - In a Localtalk system, what gateways will run Alisa?
		Mainly the kinetics gateways.
>    - Does PhoneNet cause problems with Alisa?
		Not that I am aware of.

>Many thanks for any help offered.  Once we have acquired some knowledge
>ourselves I'll be happy to answer these sort of questions - give us about 6
>months (I hope).
	Not likely, the last version of Alisa that I installed was a real
simple affair - well documented, lots of help/hints/tips and examples, good
VMSinstal files, etc.  If you can configure the gateway (the hardest part if
you are on a large mixed network [TCP/IP, DECNET...] where all of the nets
have to match everyone else's) the rest is easy.  And the Alisa group has
by far the best telephone support.

-ed cetron
cetron@wasatch.utah.edu

Standard Disclaimer - I have NO interest in Alisa except as a satisfied
customer.

dmcintee@netxcom.UUCP (Dave McIntee) (03/23/89)

In article <568200@vaxa.uwa.oz> a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) writes:
>Having just seen a demo of Alisatalk, combined with PC's running PCSA, I have a
>few questions:
>
>	. . .
>
>3)  Mail:
>    - Are any other Mail facilities available?

	There is cc:Mail:  cc:Mail, Inc.; 385 Sherman Ave.; Palo Alto, CA
	94306; (415) 321-0430.

I am interested in these questions, also. Thanks.
--
Dave McIntee
NetExpress Communications, Inc.	  	Phone: (703)749-2380