[comp.os.vms] Daylight Savings Time, Leap Years, ctime, and date

Makey@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) (04/07/89)

In article <9994@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>A completely table-driven implementation
>of the time conversion routines (using external text files containing
>the rules, which may be exceedingly baroque) was developed and placed
>into the public domain well over a year ago.

Has anyone ported this package (or any other) to VMS?  After 10+ years
of development, VMS *still* has no concept of time zones nor of
daylight savings time.  I have noted that the DEC implementations of
time() and ftime() that come with VAXC are broken (since they return
local time instead of Greenwich Mean Time), and gmtime() just returns
a null pointer.  I suspect that most VMS system managers have better
things to do than to reboot their systems twice a year just to reset
the clock.

This topic started in comp.unix.questions, but followups are directed
to comp.os.vms since I am now only concerned with VMS.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: Logicon doesn't even know we're running news.
    Internet: Makey@LOGICON.ARPA    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.arpa!Makey