[comp.os.vms] Connecting IBM PC RT to Ethernet

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (05/04/89)

I have an IBM PC RT running AIX 2.2.1 that I would like to connect to our
Ethernet network.  I've run an Ethernet transceiver drop cable (2 10 meter
sections) to a port on a DELNI, and the RT TCP/IP configuration files
have been properly set up (as far as I can tell).  There are VAXen on the
Ethernet that run SRI Multinet (TCP/IP), and one of them is set up as my
domain name server.

When the RT is started, it tries to configure the ethernet device (net0).
After a period of time, I get a console message saying that net0 has timed
out, and that the device has been removed from the configuration.

Has anyone done what I'm attempting?  Any information would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwatr@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

vlruo02@dutrun.UUCP (Ge van Geldorp) (05/04/89)

In article <1667@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
>When the RT is started, it tries to configure the ethernet device (net0).
>After a period of time, I get a console message saying that net0 has timed
>out, and that the device has been removed from the configuration.

Could it be that the jumper settings on your Baseband adapter don't
match the values given to `devices'? For some reason, the memory address
and interrupt level jumper settings on the adapter as shipped by IBM
don't match the default values used by `devices'. Being a software type,
I changed the `devices' values:
	rsa	from 80000 to 98000
	rea	from 81fff to 99fff
	brsa	from 82000 to 9a000
	brea	from 87fff to 9ffff
	il1	from 9     to 3
Hope this solves your problem.

Ge van Geldorp.
(...!uunet!hp4nl!dutrun!vlruo02 or ...!uunet!hp4nl!dutlru2!ge)

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (05/06/89)

Running diagnostics and looking at your system configuration will tell
you what interrupt level and memory addresses your ethernet card is
set to.  Then you can match that in devices.  So you don't have to
take the box apart and pull the card.  It will also tell you if you
have any other adapters which have overlaps or conflicts in terms of
interrupt levels, and I/O space or AT bus memory overlaps, at least
for your IBM supplied adapters.

Diagnostics will also (look under communications utilities) bounce a
message off of the ethernet, so that you can verify the connections
you have back to the DELNI.

Yes, I know that if diagnostics can do it, devices should..... :-)

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

griefer@ibmarc.uucp (Allan D. Griefer) (05/07/89)

In a recent append, rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes...
>When the RT is started, it tries to configure the ethernet device (net0).
>After a period of time, I get a console message saying that net0 has timed
>out, and that the device has been removed from the configuration.
Offhand, it sounds as if the plugging on the Ethernet adapter is set
differently from the specification in the devices command.  Check out the
values set by devices by issuing:
  showdev adapt net0
from within devices and printing the results.  Compare the rsa and il1
fields to the interrupt level and starting address on the card.  Note that
rea, brsa, and brea must be consecutive to rsa.

Hope this helps.

Opinions are strictly my own,
Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
BITNET: GRIEFER at ALMADEN              Internet: griefer@ibm.com
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!griefer