[comp.os.vms] Terminal Server for VMS and UN*X

dougcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Douglas Miller) (06/05/89)

I am unfamiliar with the capabilities and operation of terminal servers, so
I would appreciate any advice on the following:

I have a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix and several VAXes running VMS
connected via Ethernet.  We use CMU TCP/IP to provide ftp and telnet access
betwen the Sequent and the VAXes.  I would like to increase the terminal
port capacity by adding a terminal server(s).

I want a terminal server that can be configured to serve the Sequent AND
the VAXes. Is this possible?  Which suppliers should I talk to?

Thanks in advance.

viki@crash.cts.com (Victoria Harkey) (06/07/89)

In article <217@csv.viccol.edu.au> dougcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Douglas Miller) writes:
>I am unfamiliar with the capabilities and operation of terminal servers, so
>I would appreciate any advice on the following:
>
>I have a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix and several VAXes running VMS
>connected via Ethernet.  We use CMU TCP/IP to provide ftp and telnet access
>betwen the Sequent and the VAXes.  I would like to increase the terminal
>port capacity by adding a terminal server(s).
>
>I want a terminal server that can be configured to serve the Sequent AND
>the VAXes. Is this possible?  Which suppliers should I talk to?

I strongly recommend looking at a Xyplex Maxserver.  This terminal
server comes in two flavors:

	Maxserver 4500:  up to 32 ports from one box;
			 LAT and TCP/IP compatible
			 (simultaneously)

	Maxserver 5500:  same as 4500 model, plus:

			-  up to 120 ports
			-  dual fault-tolerant power supply
			-  dual fault tolerant Ethernet
			   connections

Cost break-even point on the Maxserver 5500 vs DECServer 200s
(which cannot handle TCP/IP and LAT sessions at the same time)
is 40 ports.

If you have further questions, send e-mail and I'll be happy
to answer them.

Disclaimer:  I do not work for Xyplex, nor have I any affiliation
except as an extremely satisified customer.

Viki Harkey
Network Analyst, ISA, Inc.
crash!viki@nosc.mil