[comp.os.vms] Sharing an Apple Printer

henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) (07/07/89)

I have a Appletalk printer connected to a MicroVaxII via Alisaprint
and a kinetics box.  This gives good service both as a spooler for the
Mac users and as a postscript printer for the VMS users.  I now would
like to add this printing service for a Sun 3 that is connected via
TCP/IP.  Has anyone done this before?  I have been toying with the idea
of a unix print task that bundles the file up, ftp's it over to the vax
where another automatic task is looking to print anything that shows up
on its doorstep.  This would work, but it seems like there ought to be
an easier way.  Any suggestions?

--
Henry Melton ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
1-512-8463241 Rt.1 Box 274E Hutto,TX 78634

rad@mbunix.mitre.org (Richard A. Dramstad) (07/08/89)

In article <741@hutto.UUCP> henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) writes:
>I have a Appletalk printer connected to a MicroVaxII via Alisaprint
>and a kinetics box.  This gives good service both as a spooler for the
>Mac users and as a postscript printer for the VMS users.  I now would
>like to add this printing service for a Sun 3 that is connected via
>TCP/IP.  Has anyone done this before?  I have been toying with the idea
>of a unix print task that bundles the file up, ftp's it over to the vax
>where another automatic task is looking to print anything that shows up
>on its doorstep.  This would work, but it seems like there ought to be
>an easier way.  Any suggestions?

	Yes, you could install TOPS on the Sun.  In addition to giving
you TOPS file services for your Macs on the Sun, it allows you to
create line printer (sic) queues that point to your AppleTalk-connected
LaserWriters.  I think you're probably talking about less than $1K to
do this,too.

	Also, because of the Berkeley/Sun remote line printer
capabilities, other Suns or BSD-derivative Unix boxes on your net can
also get to the Mac's laser printers.  I bounce my Ultrix printouts off
a Sun to a laser printer just outside my door -- the same one I use for
my Mac printouts.  I like it a lot.

>Henry Melton ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
>1-512-8463241 Rt.1 Box 274E Hutto,TX 78634

Dick Dramstad

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (07/16/89)

In article <58710@linus.UUCP> rad@mbunix (Dramstad) writes:
>In article <741@hutto.UUCP> henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) writes:
>>I have a Appletalk printer connected to a MicroVaxII via Alisaprint
>>and a kinetics box.  This gives good service both as a spooler for the
>>Mac users and as a postscript printer for the VMS users.  I now would
>>like to add this printing service for a Sun 3 that is connected via
>>TCP/IP.
>
>	Yes, you could install TOPS on the Sun.  In addition to giving
>you TOPS file services for your Macs on the Sun, it allows you to
>create line printer (sic) queues that point to your AppleTalk-connected
>LaserWriters.  I think you're probably talking about less than $1K to
>do this,too.
>
>	Also, because of the Berkeley/Sun remote line printer
>capabilities, other Suns or BSD-derivative Unix boxes on your net can
>also get to the Mac's laser printers.  I bounce my Ultrix printouts off
>a Sun to a laser printer just outside my door -- the same one I use for
>my Mac printouts.  I like it a lot.

You can also get the Columbia AppleTalk Package (CAP), version 5.0, FREE,
from anonumous ftp from sumex-aim.stanford.edu (in the info-mac/unix)
directory or from cunixc.cc.columbia.edu.  Here at UC Berkeley, we have
quite a few sites, that use CAP, bith for print spooling and file
serving.  It is even a support service that we in the Computer Center
provide for Unix machines that have nearby AppleTalk networks.

CAP also uses the standard lpr facilities of BSD Unix, so you can make
one machine the "direct connection" to the AppleTalk-connected LaserWriter
and indirectly spool from other UNIX hosts.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy