[comp.os.vms] UUCP for VMS

healy@canisius.UUCP (Patrick Healy @ Sigma Systems) (09/04/87)

Hi, I'm sure this is an oft asked question, but maybe someone out there can
point me in the direction of how to obtain a UUCP-like PD product for VMS. I've
seen the UUCP from Hughes Aircraft and it requires a UNIX source license and
Berkely version of UNIX (I might be wrong though).  The best kind of product
would be that that requires no Unix licenses at all, but I'd be interested
in just about anything...

Thanks!

Pat.

USNAIL: Patrick Healy / Sigma Systems Technology /
        5813 Main St. P.O. Box 634 / Williamsville, New York  14221
VOICE:  (716) 634-8787
UUCP:  ...!{decvax|watmath|allegra|rocksvax}!sunybcs!canisius!sigmast!pjh
                           "             ...!ames!canisius!sigmast!pjh
                           "             ...!sunybcs!canisius!healy
CSNET:  healy%canisius@CSNET-relay

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (12/15/87)

Hi,
  This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I never read these
newgroups (until now where at a new job I have a MicroVax II).  Is there
a uucp for VMS on a MicroVax?  Something which would allow mail and file
transfers between VMS and UNIX.  e-mail to me preferred.  Thanks for
any pointers.

Bill Miskovetz
{lll-lcc, ihnp4!lll-winken, pyramid}!abhg!misko
abhg!misko@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

senderow@JANUS.BERKELEY.EDU (Dan Senderowicz) (01/08/88)

Does anybody know if there is any functional version of UUCP
running on a VMS system. Any clue will be greatly appreciated.

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (01/09/88)

In article <8801080805.AA07715@janus.Berkeley.EDU> senderow@JANUS.BERKELEY.EDU (Dan Senderowicz) writes:
>Does anybody know if there is any functional version of UUCP
>running on a VMS system. Any clue will be greatly appreciated.

I'm chair of the working group named in the "Organization" line, and I'm
happy to report that I have Lol Grant and John Gilmore's `gnuucp' "almost
working" on dialup lines.  (They had it working just fine on hardwired
lines, but we need a bit more than that...)  We should be ready to send
out `beta test' versions, including a VMSmail interface, smail, pathalias,
Geoff Huston's NEWS system w/gnuucp interface, etc., by mid-February or so.
Watch this space for more details.

carl@CITHEX.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) (01/09/88)

 > Does anybody know if there is any functional version of UUCP
 > running on a VMS system. Any clue will be greatly appreciated.

We have a version of UUCP on CITHEX that worked fine at least through VMS
4.5.  It is part of a UNIX-emulation package called EUNICE.  I don't know
where EUNICE comes from, though; I inherited the package when I became the
manager of this system.

IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET (01/11/88)

EUNICE is from The Wollongong Group, and should, indeed, have UUCP.  DEC
distributes a UUCP with the DEC/shell product.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mark H. Wood    IMHW400@INDYVAX.BITNET   (317)274-0749 III U   U PPPP  U   U III
Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis  I  U   U P   P U   U  I
799 West Michigan Street, ET 1023                       I  U   U PPPP  U   U  I
Indianapolis, IN  46202 USA                             I  U   U P     U   U  I
[@disclaimer@]                                         III  UUU  P      UUU  III

jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) (01/19/88)

In article <8801080805.AA07715@janus.Berkeley.EDU> senderow@JANUS.BERKELEY.EDU (Dan Senderowicz) writes:
>Does anybody know if there is any functional version of UUCP
>running on a VMS system. Any clue will be greatly appreciated.
I believe that Eunice has UUCP support. We don't have it, though,
so I can't verify that. It's available from
  The Wollongong Group, Inc
  1129 San Antonio Road
  Palo Alto, CA 94303

--
Jim Patterson                              Cognos Incorporated
UUCP:decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!jimp P.O. BOX 9707

wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (07/15/88)

We recently 'inherited' a VAX running VMS.  We would like to integrate it
into our current family of UNIX machines.  Can some kind soul direct me
to a version of UUCP for VMS?

Please reply by email; let's save the net bandwidth.  If enough replies
are generated, I'll summarize.

Many thanks,
Wes Morgan

--
 wes@engr.uky.edu OR wes%ukecc.uucp@ukma OR ...{rutgers, uunet}!ukma!ukecc!wes
  One day, I can get rid of the above garbage and have ONE universal address.

neal@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Neal Thompson) (07/18/89)

I occasionally get requests for NetNews feeds from people on VMS
machines.  I'm sure this has been gone over before, so can anyone
give me some pointers to VMS versions of UUCP and NetNews?

Thanks,

-Neal Thompson
neal@hacgate.scg.hac.com

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/18/89)

In article <4399@hacgate.scg.hac.com> neal@hacgate.scg.hac.com (Neal Thompson) writes:
   I occasionally get requests for NetNews feeds from people on VMS
   machines.

... the poor benighted savages struggling out of the darkness... :-)

   I'm sure this has been gone over before, so can anyone give me some
   pointers to VMS versions of UUCP and NetNews?

You want to tune in on news.software.anu-news.  ANU News seems to be
the current most-popular VMS news solution, incorporating transports,
news managers, and user interfaces.