[comp.os.vms] Unresolved routines in HP Widget set

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (07/14/89)

	(This is being cross-posted to comp.os.vms and comp.windows.x for
reasons which will become clear.)

	I'm attempting to port the HP Widget set to DECwindows under VMS.
I have almost everything compiled except for two references in the code:
_XtPopup (which is probably some form of macro from the Xt that DEC chose
not to include in the Dwt (DECwindows Toolkit)) and tempnam, which I've
discovered is a C call that DEC chose not to include in VAXC (but they did
include tmpnam...just my luck).  Anyway, DEC bundled a few UN*X-type
string functions (bcopy, bcmp, etc.) with DECwindows to make it easier
to port X applications from other vendors to DECwindows.  This code was
written in VAX MACRO; I was wondering if someone could put together the
MACRO code to handle the functionality of tempnam.  (Learning MACRO is one
of those things on my to-do list, but I'd rather not learn it _and_ X11
at the same time ;-).  Likewise, could someone pass along the code for
_XtPopup (or possibly explain how I might use XtPopup, which is an Xt
intrinsic that is available under DECwindows)?  I'd appreciate any kind
of help with either routine; I realize this is a rather tall order.

							Thanks,
							 Mike

   |   InterNet> davism@{kcgl1.eng|rcgl1.eng|osu-20.ircc}.ohio-state.edu    |
   |                                  -or-                                  |
   |                       davis-m@eng.ohio-state.edu                       |
   |                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
   |************************************+***********************************|
   |   "Daddy, Daddy!!  Why's Mommy     |                                   |
   |    running across the field?"      |     These_Thoughts := My_Own      |
   | "Just shut up, Son, and reload."   |                                   |

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (07/21/89)

In article <2619@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
>	I'm attempting to port the HP Widget set to DECwindows under VMS.
>I have almost everything compiled except for two references in the code:
>_XtPopup (which is probably some form of macro from the Xt that DEC chose
>not to include in the Dwt (DECwindows Toolkit))

Nope.  _XtPopup is an internal routine in the intrinsics, not an exported
interface.  HP deserves a slap on the wrist for using it in their widget
set.  As it happens, on Unix you can't hide procedures like this from
applications, but on VMS you can (and we rightly did).

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente