[comp.os.vms] DIRED for VMS....

rbr4@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Roland Roberts) (08/01/89)

I originally posted the below to gnu.emacs, but there hasn't been much
discussion.  Since there is an ongoing discussion of Dired on VMS in
some to the other newsgroups, I thought I would repost with
cross-postings.

In article <23974@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
(jeffrey templon) writes:

>...In dired, if you ask to 'find' a directory using the 'f' command,
>it should run dired on the subdirectory if the 'f' was typed on a line
>with a subdir entry.  VMS emacs (GNU-VMS Emacs that is) just puts up a
>window with one entry, which is the name of the subdirectory file you
>tried to find.  I would be quite interested in a fix to this.

I have a fix for this problem, I actually made quite a few (minor)
changes to the VMS dired routines to allow it to recognize when a
there isn't a file on the current line (sometimes a listing gets split
into to lines, e.g. when the filename is longer than the field width
specified in dired-directory-command).

I'm running GNU Emacs 18.54.1 under VAX/VMS 5.1-B.  If I get a dozen
or so requests for this code, I'll post it, otherwise I'll just mail
it to the interested parties.

roland
--
Roland Roberts                      BITNET: roberts@uornsrl