[comp.os.vms] VAX to VME S-rec download

john@ektools.UUCP (John H. Hall) (10/02/89)

*PROBLEM*
How to quickly download S-records from a MicroVAX to an embedded 68020
VME system.

*BACKGROUND*
We're developing code for an embedded 68020 VME system.

Our development environment is VMS in a network of VAXen and
VAXstations.

We currently use the Green Hills C compiler, and may move to the
Microtec compiler in the future.

We plan to use pSOS+ with pHILE+, pROBE+ and X-RAY as system software.

Anyway we ultimately generate S-records and download them via RS-232
lines into the target machine. Even at 9.6K baud, this is SLOW!

The new lab we are building will have its own MicroVAX and will have
access to the DecNET thinwire ethernet cable.  The MicroVAX will be
"close" (<10 feet) to the target hardware.

*SO*
Can any of you kind souls point me to a faster way to download code
into the target for testing and debugging?

Maybe a parallel interface from a Q-bus card to a VME card with
appropriate (soft/firm)ware?  Maybe a single-card VME Ethernet
interface with on-board software that understands DecNET?

We really want to buy a solution rather than rolling our own.
John Hall, Product Software Engineering, Software Systems Division
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 901 Elmgrove Rd., Rochester, NY 14650
716 726-9345 / john@kodak.COM / ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!ektools!john

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (10/03/89)

In article <2154@ektools.UUCP> john@ektools.UUCP (John H. Hall) writes:

>*PROBLEM*
>How to quickly download S-records from a MicroVAX to an embedded 68020
>VME system.

You might want to take a look at VMSLink from Ready Systems.
This downloads via the VME backplane and is MUCH faster than
an RS232 serial download.  Only problem is it doesn't use
S-records; however I believe there are ways around this

biocca@bevb.bev.lbl.gov (Alan Biocca) (10/05/89)

>In article <2154@ektools.UUCP> john@ektools.UUCP (John H. Hall) writes:
>
>>*PROBLEM*
>>How to quickly download S-records from a MicroVAX to an embedded 68020
>>VME system.

vxWorks, from Wind River Systems is available for the MicroVAX running
either VMS or Unix.  The VMS version is supported by another vendor
whose name I don't recall.  This system converts the S-Records to another
format (usually earlier in the compilation process than S-Records are generated
to maintain symbol table information for loading and debugging) and loads
them to the target system via TCP/IP on Ethernet.  My experience was with the
original version that WRS first ported to VMS and there are likely more
options now, perhaps including DECNET.  To pursue this contact
Wind River Systems at 415-428-2623.  Program loading rates we experienced
were in the region of 30Kbytes per second.

		Alan K Biocca