[comp.os.vms] How Do I Justify Attending the DECUS Symposium?

stevef@crash.cts.com (Steve Feinstein) (10/04/89)

 I've just requested that my boss send me to the SYMPOSIUM in Anaheim
and he needs me to Justify it.  I attended a single day last year as a
guest of my Sales Rep, and now I see it as definately worthwhile for
me to attend all week.  But I thought that someone else could help
me with some reasons why.

	In a nutshell WHY DOES MY BOSS >>>NEED<<< TO SEND ME?

(I know the reasons, but maybe someone a bit more articulate than myself
 could give me some assistance.)

Steve A. Feinstein                          stevef@crash.cts.com
Data Trek Inc.
621 2nd Street
Encinitas, CA  92024

bluntb@ingr.com (Bob Blunt x6849) (10/04/89)

In article <470@crash.cts.com>, stevef@crash.cts.com (Steve Feinstein) writes:

>  I've just requested that my boss send me to the SYMPOSIUM in Anaheim
> and he needs me to Justify it.
>
> 	In a nutshell WHY DOES MY BOSS >>>NEED<<< TO SEND ME?
>
> (I know the reasons, but maybe someone a bit more articulate than myself
>  could give me some assistance.)

The bottom line is:  you will be the best source of justification for
attending a DECUS Symposium.  You will have to customize the reasoning to
jive with your site.  I've done this for the past three years, and gotten
to go once (budget reasons shot down the last two years).  I waited until
the schedule of tentative schedule of sessions came out, and picked the
sessions that were of interest to projects being worked around the office.
If necessary, I paraphrased the abstracts to give the boss an idea of what
he could expect to glean from my attendance.  It worked (until the bean-
counters got wind of it :-< ) every time.  Another good point is the
potential to gather information from other attendees.  In many cases, you
get more problems solved faster by talking to attendees/presenters/developers
than by trial-and-error, saving your company money.

Another good written source is the "Why You Should Attend DECUS Symposia"
segment of the "DECUS Seminars/Symposium Program and Registration Info"
booklet that comes out before every symposium and the July 1989 DECUSCOPE
had a fairly lengthy article, "Sending Your People to DECUS," on pages 26-
28.  The author, G. Beau Williamson, goes over several myths and "cases"
where he gives rationales behind DECUS Symposia attendance.  Try to get
a copy of either or both, and come up with a game plan to attend.

Bob Blunt
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 "Growing older, but not up"      J. Buffett ||  Bob Blunt       | M.S. IW1601

jkw@alpha.lanl.gov (Jay Wooten) (10/05/89)

> In article <470@crash.cts.com>, stevef@crash.cts.com (Steve Feinstein) writes:
> >
> >  I've just requested that my boss send me to the SYMPOSIUM in Anaheim
> > and he needs me to Justify it.
> >
> > 	In a nutshell WHY DOES MY BOSS >>>NEED<<< TO SEND ME?

The justification I have used in the past has been twofold:

  1. Some specific sessions which related directly to work I was doing
     or was going to do in the near future.  By having specific sessions
     already in mind, I was able to plan a little better and get to sessions
     I wanted to attend VERY early.  This is important because popular
     sessions fill up very quickly.  In fact, you may have to sit thru
     one or more talks you have no interest in just to get a seat for a
     later talk.  Bring a good book in case you run out of sales brochures.

  2. The most useful information picked up at a DECUS is often found just
     by wandering around the demo booths and talking to people.  I have
     always found useful info at these meetings which there was no way of
     knowing about ahead of time - call it planned serendipidity.

     I also always promise a trip report, make sure I do it, try to make
     it interesting, and make sure that as many DEC-interested prople
     in my organization see it as possible.

~  Resident DUMPie...
		     Downwardly Unmobile Middle-class Person     ~
      Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA: jkw@lanl.gov

nobody@blia.BLI.COM (Nobody at all) (10/06/89)

In article <470@crash.cts.com> stevef@crash.cts.com (Steve Feinstein) writes:

>	In a nutshell WHY DOES MY BOSS >>>NEED<<< TO SEND ME?
>
>(I know the reasons, but maybe someone a bit more articulate than myself
> could give me some assistance.)

I attended symposia over the last 12 years, many times both Spring and Fall.
My reason for attending is that I got more information about how to keep
our systems running better at DECUS symposia than from any other source.
Just sitting around talking to experts with many years of experience solved
many problems for me.  In any group, it is highly likely that a problem
I had was solved previously by someone else.  So I avoided "reinventing
the wheel".  The sessions, handouts, exhibits, etc. are often just as
informative.

So it all boils down to many hours of work saved and better running systems.