[comp.os.vms] DECwindows customizations

jmarek@td2cad.intel.com (John Marek) (11/10/89)

In article <JYM.89Nov8115957@anableps.berkeley.edu> jym@anableps.berkeley.edu (Jym Dyer) writes:
>>> 4.  A custom background image.
>>  This can be done by killing off dwm on the VMS side. . . . I
>>  simply run twm from a decstation and have it manage the windows
>>  on the VMS client.

>Sounds like something I'd like to do.  What all does one need to
> make such a setup work?
>  <_Jym_>

I have gotten this suggestion to work.  I've done it manually and it seems it
could be done via command procedures and shells although I haven't invested
much time in it yet.

To do this:

Log into your VAXstation and get into a terminal window.

Kill the window manager process (DECW$WM_1) -- I don't recall the process UIC
so I don't know if it takes GROUP or WORLD privilege.

-- This will make the icon box and all windows except the session manager and
your current terminal window "disappear".

SET HOST to your DECstation (or other UNIX system).

After logging into the workstation:

setenv DISPLAY node::0 (for your VAXstation)

then start up your choice of window managers.

I used

dxwm &         (start it as a background process)

 to use ULTRIX DECwindows as the window manager since I haven't learned to
 use uwm or any other window manager yet.

There does seem to be a minor performance degradation when  multiple windows
need to be redrawn but otherwise I have not noticed any performance problem.

--
     John Marek                                     jmarek@td2cad.intel.com

     Any opinions in the above text are my own but feel welcome to use them.