[comp.os.vms] Anyone have the DECUS VMS DECwindows submission?

abstine@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) (12/11/89)

Does anyone have the DECUS VMS DECwindows package (VS100 I believe)
available for anonymous FTP anywhere? I'd like to get ahold of it
if possible. I could try through my LUG, but we're still in the process
of getting started, so it might take awhile longer to get it via that route.

Thanks alot

--
Art Stine
Sr Network Engineer

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec11.153004.1202@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> abstine@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) writes:
>Does anyone have the DECUS VMS DECwindows package (VS100 I believe)
>available for anonymous FTP anywhere? I'd like to get ahold of it....

Can anybode explain WHAT is in that DECUS VMS DECwindows package ????

Martin Brunecky, Auto-trol Technology Corporation,
12500 North Washington Street, Denver, CO-80241-2404
(303) 252-2499                                        ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru

taylort@decus.com.au (Trevor Taylor) (12/16/89)

In article <493@auto-trol.UUCP>, marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) writes:
> In article <1989Dec11.153004.1202@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> abstine@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) writes:
>>Does anyone have the DECUS VMS DECwindows package (VS100 I believe)
>>available for anonymous FTP anywhere? I'd like to get ahold of it....
>
> Can anybode explain WHAT is in that DECUS VMS DECwindows package ????

I guess I should answer this, since I submitted it.

The DECUS Library package "X Windows Clients and Demos",
order number VS100, contains a substantial number of the
clients and demos from the X11 Release 3 tape. These have
been converted to run under VMS. (In most cases the changes
are trivial, but they all use #ifdef VMS.)

In particular, I have found that many of the standard MIT
clients are useful in learning about X and also for poking
around in DECwindows. For instance, xdpyinfo, xlsfonts,
xlswins, etc., are useful for "looking around". I also
converted xload so that I could watch CPU usage.

In addition, there are some games and a sample DECwindows
Toolkit application which was submitted by DEC for drawing
Mandelbrot plots. All in all, it is a reasonable introduction
to X, and (mostly) works under VMS DECwindows.

NOTE: This should not be confused with the full unadulterated
X11 Release 3 tape which is available as VS102. Glenn Everhart
kindly converted from the MIT tape in tar format to VMS
BACKUP format so that those of you who are purists can get
the REAL thing. However, you will have to make changes to
get this to work on VMS.

Finally, I should point out that although the Athena widgets
are on my tape (VS100), I didn't have time to get them
working before I submitted it. (The tape was originally
sent to DECUS in May!) Since then however, I have finished
the Athena widgets, and the only problem seems to be that
the Form widget will not lay out its children correctly.
xedit works OK for example, but xclipboard does not.

A later tape has been sent to DEC and is on one of their
machines in Sydney. I am also going to try to get it onto
EXPO and/or elsewhere for anonymous FTP, but this is a bit
hard from "down under". Ideally, the guys at DEC would
like to see the changes incorporated into R4, but I think
it may be too late for this. (Any comments from MIT are
welcome.) The biggest problem here is that I am so far
away that I can't really help to merge source code.

BTW, anyone can port the code without too much trouble.
I haven't done anything extraordinary. I've just spent
a bit more time on it than most people. There are a couple
of tricks, but once you get the hang of it, it is really
just grunt work.

	Trevor