[comp.os.vms] LAT-to-Telnet Gateway

rich@pluto.UUCP (Rich) (01/08/90)

In article <686@syteke.be>, jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
> Since I do not know your application this may not be appropriate but why
> not just use a multi-protocol terminal server(we make such an animal
> by the way :-)).  zvLb#:AVoIt can be made pretty transparent.
> --
> Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim OR
> Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  uunet!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

A multi-protocol terminal server is fine in the case of a new installation
or replacing an existing unit. But there are a lot of single-protocol
boxes out there now.

A 'Gateway' needs to address making better use of existing hardware.

Datability's VISTA Product line includes a Network Protocol Translator (NPT)
card that allows any LAT terminal server (DECserver 200, etc) to communicate
with TCP/IP Telnet based hosts. (Of course it works TELNET -> LAT also).

(The above comments are my own, although I work for Databilitly.)

Richard L. Rupp                                           rich@pluto.dss.com
Datability Software Systems, Inc.            212 807 7800, Fax: 212 807 0958