[comp.os.vms] Is netnews available under VAX VMS?

cowan@spanky.sps.mot.com (01/16/90)

I hope this isn't a naive question.

I am looking into integrating netnews under the three major computer
platforms that we use.  So I wonder if anyone has gotten the netnews
applications to work on a VAX VMS.  Or, how other shops have solved
the problem of giving VAX VMS users access to netnews.

Has anyone ported "rrn" to a VAX VMS running tcp/ip?  (This seems to
be doable (is it?), and it would also seem to be an elegant solution - ie,
have the NNTP server running on a Unix platform, and have VAX VMS
users access news via rrn.)

Anyone ported vnews, or postnews to the VAX (VMS)?

-AC
 Andy Cowan
 cowan@soleil.sps.mot.com
 (602)821-4942

lennartb@lne.kth.se (01/17/90)

In article <1981@dover.sps.mot.com>, cowan@spanky.sps.mot.com writes:
> I hope this isn't a naive question.
>
> I am looking into integrating netnews under the three major computer
> platforms that we use.  So I wonder if anyone has gotten the netnews
> applications to work on a VAX VMS.  Or, how other shops have solved
> the problem of giving VAX VMS users access to netnews.
>
> Has anyone ported "rrn" to a VAX VMS running tcp/ip?  (This seems to
> be doable (is it?), and it would also seem to be an elegant solution - ie,
> have the NNTP server running on a Unix platform, and have VAX VMS
> users access news via rrn.)
>
> Anyone ported vnews, or postnews to the VAX (VMS)?
>
> -AC
>  Andy Cowan
>  cowan@soleil.sps.mot.com
>  (602)821-4942

We're running VMS NEWS from Geoff Huston, Australian National University.
His address is gih900@csc.anu.oz.au. It uses NNTP.

/Lennart