[comp.os.vms] Question re:

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (02/21/90)

[Just in case you hadn't noticed, this is being cross posted to comp.os.vms
and comp.windows.x, since there doesn't seem to be a newsgroup which is (VMS)
DECwindows specific.]

	Our site's System Programmer and myself are in the process of porting
the twm window manager to VMS DECwindows.  We have it working, for the most
part.  One thing I haven't been able to figure out is that when I call on the
Session Manager to Quit (LOGOFF), even if I haven't made any customization
changes via the Session Manager, it asks me if I want to save the changes I've
made to the customizations before quitting.  Apparently, the use of the twm
window manager is corrupting something in memory that the Session Manager
examines to determine the "correctness" of the Session Manager customizations.
Does anyone out there know what this "resource" is and/or how to keep twm from
corrupting it.

							Thanks,
							 Mike

   |   InterNet> davism@{kcgl1.eng|rcgl1.eng|osu-20.ircc}.ohio-state.edu    |
   |                                  -or-                                  |
   |                       davis-m@eng.ohio-state.edu                       |
   |                         CompuServe> 73667,541                          |
   |************************************************************************|
   |                      These thoughts, they be mine                      |

mikey@decwrl.dec.com (Mike Yang) (02/22/90)

In article <4290@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
>	Our site's System Programmer and myself are in the process of porting
>the twm window manager to VMS DECwindows.  We have it working, for the most
>part.  One thing I haven't been able to figure out is that when I call on the
>Session Manager to Quit (LOGOFF), even if I haven't made any customization
>changes via the Session Manager, it asks me if I want to save the changes I've
>made to the customizations before quitting.

This problem also occurs with versions of the Ultrix session manager
prior to UWS 2.2.  The session manager tries to detect movement of its
main window by comparing the origin it gives the toolkit during
creation with the origin it fetches when one quits.  With window
managers which decorate client windows with a title bar, this method
often fails.  It does work with DEC's window manager, which is why
you didn't notice the problem before.

In UWS 2.2, the session manager uses this test only when using the
default (DEC) window manager.  The VMS session manager presumably
continues to use this test in all cases.

There is no workaround.  A future release of the session manager for
both platforms will get rid of this test completely, as DEC moves to
Motif and the Motif window manager (MWM) for which the test doesn't
work either.

Mike Yang	   Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
mikey@wsl.dec.com	  decwrl!mikey			 415/853-6677

DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) (02/24/90)

In article <103@gilroy.dec.com>, mikey@decwrl.dec.com (Mike Yang) writes:

>In article <4290@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> DAVISM@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
>[My explanation of the problem deleted]
>
>This problem also occurs with versions of the Ultrix session manager
>prior to UWS 2.2.  The session manager tries to detect movement of its
>main window by comparing the origin it gives the toolkit during
>creation with the origin it fetches when one quits.  With window
>managers which decorate client windows with a title bar, this method
>often fails.  It does work with DEC's window manager, which is why
>you didn't notice the problem before.
>
>[Info regarding fixes in upcoming products deleted]

	Bearing this in mind, I would like to modify twm such that instead
of "translating" the client window, it merely decorates the client window
where it stands.  I could delve into the source code myself (add_window.c
from the distribution is my best guess), but I thought I'd ask if anyone
has already done this and/or if anyone might already have the code to do
this.  Please post any replies, since I have received several messages con-
cerning this problem; there appears to be sufficient interest.

							Thanks,
							 Mike