[comp.os.vms] VAXstation 3520 boot problems

jvb7u@astsun1.astro.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) (03/03/90)

I am trying to boot a VAXstation 3520 from a TK50Z SCSI tape drive.  So far
the 3520 recognizes the TK50Z is there using "show scsi", but doesn't have
a name for it.  It sees it as a tape unit at SCSI address 1 and calls it
"xxA100".  Does anyone know what's the matter and/or how to solve the problem?

Jon

Jon Brinkmann					Astronomy Department
Internet:	jvb7u@Virginia.EDU		University of Virginia
UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!jvb7u	P.O. Box 3818
SPAN/HEPnet:	6654::jvb7u			Charlottesville, VA 22903-0818

tarcea@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Glenn Tarcea) (03/06/90)

In article <2669@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> jvb7u@astsun1.astro.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) writes:
>I am trying to boot a VAXstation 3520 from a TK50Z SCSI tape drive.  So far
>the 3520 recognizes the TK50Z is there using "show scsi", but doesn't have
>a name for it.  It sees it as a tape unit at SCSI address 1 and calls it
>"xxA100".  Does anyone know what's the matter and/or how to solve the problem?
>
>Jon
>
>Jon Brinkmann					Astronomy Department
>Internet:	jvb7u@Virginia.EDU		University of Virginia
>UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!jvb7u	P.O. Box 3818
>SPAN/HEPnet:	6654::jvb7u			Charlottesville, VA 22903-0818

We had the same problem with a VAX3540 at Oakland University, it seems that a
VAX3520 and a VAX3540 will only recognize one type of tape drive on that
SCSI port, a TK70. I even called DEC at 1-800-DEC-8000 for confirmation on
the problem at the time.
  To get around it we loaded VMS from another RZ55 using the VMSKITBLD (in
sys$update). The one problem with this utility is that it does not copy over
any of the *.par files. You need to copy these over, if you donot then when
VMS boots it will give an error about not being able to find (VDRIVER or
something to that effect), this will prevent DECwindows from starting up and
will cause a couple of other problems (can't remember them off the top of my
head).
  Anyways good luck, and if somebody else has a better solution I would sure
like to see it.

Glenn Tarcea@vela.acs.oakland.edu

/* Save the Amazon */