[comp.os.vms] VMS->UNIX VMSBACKUP

jgodsil@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Joseph Godsil) (03/28/90)

I have an old version of John Douglas Carey's and Sven-Ove Westberg's
vmsbackup utility.  Is there a _newer_ version available?  The one
I have must be 3/4 years old and seems to read older VMS tapes but
has problems with newer versions [of VMS].

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Joseph M. Godsil  (jgodsil@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

   Joseph M. Godsil  (jgodsil@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

cpl@ednor.bbc.com (Chuck Lambros) (03/29/90)

In article <1990Mar28.155558.21498@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jgodsil@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Joseph Godsil) writes:

>I have an old version of John Douglas Carey's and Sven-Ove Westberg's
>vmsbackup utility.  Is there a _newer_ version available?  The one
>I have must be 3/4 years old and seems to read older VMS tapes but
>has problems with newer versions [of VMS].
>
>Any info would be appreciated!
>
>Thanks in advance,
>

>Joseph M. Godsil  (jgodsil@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
>National Center for Supercomputing Applications
>

>--
>
>   Joseph M. Godsil  (jgodsil@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
>   National Center for Supercomputing Applications

My company has available a full featured utility to read and write VMS
backup tapes.  It is presently operational on several Unix platforms.
It reads and writes VMS backup save sets which are compatible with
version 5.0 and greater of VMS.  Unlike the public domain version of
vmsbackup, our product (Vbackup) utilizes VMS style CRC checking to
recover from minor problems found on the source tape.

For more information please contact the sales department of my
company:

	Boston Business Computing
	3 Dundee Park
	Andover, MA  01810
	(508) 470-0444

--
Chuck Lambros                                   Boston Business Computing, Ltd.
cpl@ednor.bbc.com

kph@dirt.cisco.com (Kevin Paul Herbert) (03/30/90)

Does Vbackup know how to properly parse backup set attributes, or does
it assume that they come in some particular order, as does the public
domain version? The reason that I ask is that someone asked me on
comp.os.rsts recently if there is a good way to read RSTS/E backup sets
on Unix, and I looked at VMSBACK and discovered that there was no way
that it would work. RSTS/E backup sets use the same format as VMS,
although there are some additional record types and attributes, and many
of the attributes that VMS writes RSTS doesn't.

Kevin