[comp.os.vms] tcp for VMS and tcp over fiber-optics

maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) (06/08/90)

I have an application where I have a VAX running VMS in a data center
in one building and an office with a Macintosh running Appletalk along
with a Postscript printer in another building. Company security requires
that the only means of communications between the two locations is fiber
optics.

In the future, we may want to install a Sun or other Unix/tcp/nfs type
goody in the same room as the Macintosh and the printer. What I need help is
with the following.

The VAX has VMS and DECNET. Because we may have future Unix/tcp type
stuff in our environment, we would like to have all communication via TCP.
I need some suggestions on what software to get for the VAX so that it can
run TCP and preferably also NFS. I would also like something that includes
the necessary libraries and include files so that I can write applications
using sockets for both stream stuff and datagrams. I have heard of some names
including Wollengrad (sp?) but don't know anything about them. I need
company names and phone numbers.

I need something that provides an ethernet bridge through a fiber optic. The
VAX has Ethernet which I hope to use for the TCP as well as the DECNET. I
also hope to get Ethernet for the room with the Macintosh and the future
Sun workstation. The two Ethernets need to be able to talk to each other
through the fiber optic cable.

The Macintosh uses Appletalk which has its own set of protocols and hardware.
I need something to act as a gateway between Appletalk and the Ethernet with
TCP. I would like to provide the Macintosh with its own IP address and have
it appear as any other IP machine on the network.

Since the Macintosh cannot act as a server since it is a single process
machine, I need something to act as a TCP server for the printer. The printer
should have its own IP address; that way, I can access it from any machine
on the network. Any Suggestions?

Can anyone please shed some light on any of this? I appreciate any company
names, books on this subject, or if possible to talk with someone who has
done this type of stuff in the past. I can be reached at:
(206) 773-8981 (206) 773-2957 (206) 773-8308 - days
(206) 526-8852 - evenings (til 9 pm Pacific time)

curt@isa.uucp (Curt Gedak) (06/14/90)

In article <1481@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> maa@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) writes:
>In the future, we may want to install a Sun or other Unix/tcp/nfs type
>goody in the same room as the Macintosh and the printer. What I need help is
>with the following.
>
>The VAX has VMS and DECNET. Because we may have future Unix/tcp type
>stuff in our environment, we would like to have all communication via TCP.
>I need some suggestions on what software to get for the VAX so that it can
>run TCP and preferably also NFS. I would also like something that includes
>the necessary libraries and include files so that I can write applications
>using sockets for both stream stuff and datagrams. I have heard of some names
>including Wollengrad (sp?) but don't know anything about them. I need
>company names and phone numbers.

 ... Stuff deleted ....

Process Software Corporation offers a product for the VAX/VMS that supports
FTP, SMTP, TELNET, and NFS.  It can run over the same ethernet that is
concurrently running DECNET.  It is also one of the only products that
states that it supports the DEQNA board (which is not totally IEEE 802.3
compliant).  Their phone number is (508)879-6994.

Note that in no way do I work for Process Software Corporation.  I only
have experience with their products, and have found their technical
support to be very professional.

--
Curt Gedak                           uucp: {uunet,alberta}!ncc!isagate!curt
ISA Corporation                       bus: (403) 420-8081