[comp.os.vms] VMS MAIL

fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) (07/05/88)

 Is it possible to extract a message from the mailer without having to read
 /display a portion or all of it?

 Frank Simmons

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (07/06/88)

In article <371@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) writes:
> Is it possible to extract a message from the mailer without having to read
> /display a portion or all of it?

Yes it is. I have received a DCL command file which does just that.
Can't dig out the exact code from memory, but it sets sys$output to NL:,
then calls up mail and extracts just as many messages as indicated by
the new mail count.

-- Danny

| Mail   :   Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support Center            |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet :   macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Ean    :   macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

helen@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Helen Rapozo) (07/07/88)

In article <371@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) writes:

> Is it possible to extract a message from the mailer without having to read
> /display a portion or all of it?
>
> Frank Simmons

You don't have to read all of the message but you might have to read
at least the first portion before you can issue the EXTRACT command
to get that message.

--
BITNET address: helen@uhccux
UH Admin Network: HCCADA::CS_RAPOZO

davis@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") (06/14/90)

Hi,
  I would like to convert a VMS MAIL file from its ISAM format to ordinary
text. That is, I want to write my own extraction routine that extracts new
mail and appends it to an ordinary ascii file. This way I don't have to enter
mail and type extract at the VMS mail prompt but insted do it from the DCL
level. Is this possible? Is there an existing routine that will do the
extraction for me?

Thanks,
--
--John

  bitnet: davis@ohstpy
internet: davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

kaiser@cheese.enet.dec.com (06/15/90)

In article <DAVIS.90Jun14025403@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>,
davis@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") writes...

>I would like to convert a VMS MAIL file from its ISAM format to ordinary
>text. That is, I want to write my own extraction routine that extracts new
>mail and appends it to an ordinary ascii file. This way I don't have to enter
>mail and type extract at the VMS mail prompt but insted do it from the DCL
>level. Is this possible? Is there an existing routine that will do the
>extraction for me?

Unless you have in mind something complex involving callable mail, how about
doing it the obvious way with a command procedure?  Something like this:

	$ set noverify
	$ mail
	select /new
	extract /all /append SEQUENTIAL-FILE
	delete /all
	exit

Or is that too simple for what you had in mind?

---Pete

kaiser@cheese.enet.dec.com
+1 508 480 4345 (machine: +1 617 641 3450)