[comp.os.vms] how can I expand a tar file in VMS?

stanton@soleil.UUCP (Rick Stanton) (07/11/90)

I realize that this has been posted a million times but...

I have a tar file that I need to expand on a VMS machine. Can I
use VMS backup to do this? If so, what qualifiers do I need to
use with my backup command? Otherwise, is there a utility that I
may use besides backup to do this task? Maybe there is a way to
expand it on my SUN-4 and then ftp the resulting directory try
to my VAX while retaining the directory structure?

Thanks for any help that you may be able to give to me.

Rick Stanton
HARRIS Semiconductor
Somerville, N.J.

manager@usgcdh.uucp (07/13/90)

In article <1014@soleil.UUCP>, stanton@soleil.UUCP (Rick Stanton) writes:
> I realize that this has been posted a million times but...

I look forward to the second million ;-)...

> I have a tar file that I need to expand on a VMS machine. Can I
> use VMS backup to do this? If so, what qualifiers do I need to
> use with my backup command? Otherwise, is there a utility that I
> may use besides backup to do this task? Maybe there is a way to
> expand it on my SUN-4 and then ftp the resulting directory try
> to my VAX while retaining the directory structure?

VMS BACKUP will not read tar format.

Don't contemplate FTPing a directory tree unless you are a masochist (IMHO).

There are a number of programs written for VAX/VMS which are capable of reading
and writing tar format files and tapes. The best way to get one is to get a
VAX/L&T symposium SIG tape from your DECUS LUG. There are at least two
different programs on each SIG tape. The software also comes with the DECUS
UUCP software. Using a tar reader from these tapes, I have successfully
unpacked the entire Usenix '89 tape and the latest OSF/Motif tape, so it
definitely works. The biggest problem you might encounter would be files with
VMS-incompatible file names (e.g. 'y.tab.h' or 'foo#bar').

DECUS may be contacted at:

		DECUS
		219 Boston Post Road, BP02
		Marlboro, MA 01752-4605