[comp.os.vms] Remote print spooling ultrix -> vms

kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) (07/17/90)

We have several dec 3100's running ultrix and decnet.  We also have
several vms machines (also with decnet).  I would like to have the
ultrix machines use the printers attached to the vms machines.  My
question is how to get vms to allow print spooling from a specified
list of ultrix machines?

Use e-mail, then I will summarize.

-- Peter Kocks
   kocks@jessica.stanford.edu

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul17.161156.5886@portia.Stanford.EDU>, kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
> We have several dec 3100's running ultrix and decnet.  We also have
> several vms machines (also with decnet).  I would like to have the
> ultrix machines use the printers attached to the vms machines.  My
> question is how to get vms to allow print spooling from a specified
> list of ultrix machines?

Possibly a better solution would be to port BSD's lpd code to VMS (using
the Berkely Socket Library), so that any BSD machine (including Ultrix)
could use the printer.  Miami was looking at doing that at one time, but
no one here has the time to put into the project.  Has anyone else done
the port?

Peter
--
Peter Murray	                       215 Foxfire Dr #308, Oxford, Ohio  45056
ACS Consultant                                           pemurray@miavx1.bitnet

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (07/23/90)

> In article <1990Jul17.161156.5886@portia.Stanford.EDU>, kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
>> several vms machines (also with decnet).  I would like to have the
>> ultrix machines use the printers attached to the vms machines.  My
>> question is how to get vms to allow print spooling from a specified
>> list of ultrix machines?

a) Use the copy command of ultrix (dcp) to copy a file on the LAT device.
Our lasers are attached to LAT in a spooled terminal queue, so
% dcp file node::ltaxxx:
will do the job. (You need to have a default decnet account which does have
quota on the spooling disk.)

b) I set up a simple c routine a la tell.com which is using decnet as
process to interact remotely. Drawback: slow , and a security breach.

c) look for a lpd port. If you found one, let me know. I'm very much
interested!

- Reinhard

allen@kwan.det.dec.com (Allen Leibowitz) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul23.111255.839@urz.unibas.ch>, doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> > In article <1990Jul17.161156.5886@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
> >> several vms machines (also with decnet).  I would like to have the
> >> ultrix machines use the printers attached to the vms machines.  My
> >> question is how to get vms to allow print spooling from a specified
> >> list of ultrix machines?

There is also a "-P" (print) option in dcp if you can use the default
sys$print on that machine.  See man dcp. C.f.: looks something like:

                                                         dcp(1dn)
NAME
     dcp - copy files between DECnet nodes

     -P   prints the files at the default printer on the remote
          system.

Allen Leibowitz
DEC ULTRIX Resource Center       <allen@kwan.enet.dec.com>
Farmington Hills, Michigan  USA

sjaak@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Schilperoort J.W.) (07/27/90)

doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:

>> In article <1990Jul17.161156.5886@portia.Stanford.EDU>, kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
>>> several vms machines (also with decnet).  I would like to have the
>>> ultrix machines use the printers attached to the vms machines.  My
>>> question is how to get vms to allow print spooling from a specified
>>> list of ultrix machines?

>a) Use the copy command of ultrix (dcp) to copy a file on the LAT device.
>Our lasers are attached to LAT in a spooled terminal queue, so
>% dcp file node::ltaxxx:
>will do the job.

>c) look for a lpd port. If you found one, let me know. I'm very much
>interested!

In the days that LAT-printing caused our Ultrix machine to crash
regularly (Ultrix 2.0 & 2.2) and PostScript-printers were not supported
(Ultrix could not read from a LAT printer) I made up a hack for printing
on VMS-queues. It uses a) but from the Ultrix side it looks like c).
If anyone is interested I can mail/post the sources.

The solution is roughly as follows. I have written a lpd-filter that
performs the DECnet-copy, looks up the node/queue in /etc/printcap and
activates a DECnet object on the VMS-node to perform the printing.
In /etc/printcap there are two extra entries for specifying the node/queue.
The lpd-filter must be called using a unique name indicating its printcap
entry name, so it can look up the extra entries (I have links with names
dnetf_101, dnetf_102, etc. to dnetf).

--
Sjaak Schilperoort          			JW_Schilperoort@pttrnl.nl
PTT Research Neher Laboratorium			...!hp4nl!dnlunx!sjaak