[comp.os.vms] TSSnet

martinh@gp.govt.nz (Martin D. Hunt) (08/02/90)

Is anyone running TSSnet? It is a program which enables a Macintosh to
emulate DECnet and communicate with a VAX.

We have had a problem with this product for the last 3 1/2 months, since
upgrading our VAX to VMS V5.2, and have not had any joy from the New
Zealand agent for this product. The problem is that the Mac crashes when an
attempt is made to copy files between it and the VAX, when the tranfer is
initiated from the VAX. We are running TSSnet V1.2.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who is running this product, or
any other products which provide similar functionality.
Martin D. Hunt
Government Printing Office	USEnet address : martinh@gp.govt.nz
Wellington			PSI address    : PSI%0530147000028::martinh
New Zealand			Phone	       : +64 4 4965790

sdroppers@pbs.org (Seton Droppers) (08/04/90)

In article <1292.26b6d99b@gp.govt.nz>, martinh@gp.govt.nz (Martin D. Hunt) writes:
> Is anyone running TSSnet? It is a program which enables a Macintosh to
> emulate DECnet and communicate with a VAX.
>
> We have had a problem with this product for the last 3 1/2 months, since
> upgrading our VAX to VMS V5.2, and have not had any joy from the New
> Zealand agent for this product. The problem is that the Mac crashes when an
> attempt is made to copy files between it and the VAX, when the tranfer is
> initiated from the VAX. We are running TSSnet V1.2.
>
> I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who is running this product, or
> any other products which provide similar functionality.
> --
> Martin D. Hunt
> Government Printing Office	USEnet address : martinh@gp.govt.nz
> Wellington			PSI address    : PSI%0530147000028::martinh
> New Zealand			Phone	       : +64 4 4965790

Funny you should ask...  I just installed TSSnet on my mac here.  1.2 is at
least two releases old.  I installed v1.3 and Alisa announced and shipped
TSSnet 2.0 about a month ago.

We have had no Mac crash problems here.  We also use Alisashare here, and have
had very good results with both products.
--
Seton Droppers  -- "Anything that I say is my opinion and not my employer's."
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Pl. Alexandria, VA 22314

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (08/06/90)

In article <1292.26b6d99b@gp.govt.nz>, martinh@gp.govt.nz (Martin D. Hunt) writes:
> Is anyone running TSSnet? It is a program which enables a Macintosh to
yes we are running TSSNET for more than one year now.
> We have had a problem with this product for the last 3 1/2 months, since
> upgrading our VAX to VMS V5.2, and have not had any joy from the New
We didnt have problems with this. Currently we are running VMS 5.3.
> initiated from the VAX. We are running TSSnet V1.2.
We are running the same version under a Mac II with the original NuBus
card, running 6.0.4 US Version.
> I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who is running this product, or
Problems I encountered are :

Incompatibility with some cdevs on the Mac. Mine is running Decnet, TCP/IP,
EthertalkI, EthertalkII and TOPS. Gives rise to some problems with older
versions of SuperClock, some security cdevs, all kind of appletalk-affecting
inits, and some fkeys.

Wrong setting of circuits, buffers, etc. on the MAC executor side.

Have heard of IICi running into trouble, and other cards don't seem
to run smoothly.

Try to reset the ethernet board (there is a utility provides by TSSNET).

Try to run TCP/IP and see whether the ethernet connection is fine.

Use decnet tests to check functionality of the listeners:
ncp> tell mac show exec status
should work.

Maybe this is of some help.
regards
Reinhard

    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            *     EAN     doelz@urz.unibas.ch
      Biocomputing                *     DECNET  48130::doelz
Biozentrum der Universitaet       *     X25     psi%46211142::embnet
   Klingelbergstrasse 70          *     FAX     x41 61 256760
     CH 4056 Basel                *     TEL     x41 61 253880 ext 888