[comp.os.vms] BACKUP/IMAGE NEEDS RINGS!

tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) (08/13/90)

Doing an image backup on VMS5.1? Watch out for this GOTCHA!

$ backup/image disk tape
$! 	you fill up three tapes for one disk
$! 	you remove the write rings just to be safe
$ backup/image tape disk
$! 	at the end of restoring the first volume you get:
$! 	%SYSTEM-I-IVCHAN, invalid I/O channel messages by the thousands
$! 	you take out your sledge hammer and operate on the hardware

Solution?  LEAVE THE WRITE RINGS IN THE TAPES!

Don't ask me why, but standalone backup wants write
access to that tape.  Any comments from other poor souls
who have seen this error?  Is it fixed in VMS5.3?

--------  john kemp            (  (  )_  internet - kemp@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
  -----                       (  (   __)   decnet - uiatmb::kemp
   ---    univ of illinois   (_ (   __)    bitnet - {uunet,convex}
   --     dept of atmos sci  .(____).               !uiucuxc!uiatma!kemp
   -      105 s gregory ave    ...          phone - (217) 333-6881
    -     urbana, il 61801    ...             fax - (217) 444-4393

dafj@vax87.aud.auc.dk (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.025431.29599@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) writes:

> Doing an image backup on VMS5.1? Watch out for this GOTCHA!
>
> $ backup/image disk tape
> $! 	you fill up three tapes for one disk
> $! 	you remove the write rings just to be safe
> $ backup/image tape disk
> $! 	at the end of restoring the first volume you get:
> $! 	%SYSTEM-I-IVCHAN, invalid I/O channel messages by the thousands
> $! 	you take out your sledge hammer and operate on the hardware
>
> Solution?  LEAVE THE WRITE RINGS IN THE TAPES!
>
> Don't ask me why, but standalone backup wants write
> access to that tape.  Any comments from other poor souls
> who have seen this error?  Is it fixed in VMS5.3?

I'm a little confused here. Are you doing a standalone-backup, ie. shutdown the
system and reboot a standalone-vmb (micro-vms) OR
are you doing an image-backup on a running system.

I must say I've *NEVER* seen BACKUP behave like this.
Flemming Jensen                               UUCP      : dafj@vaxa.aud.auc.dk
University of Aalborg (AUD)                   Internet  : dafj@vax87.auc.dk
Fredrik Bajersvej 5                           Telephone : + 4598158522 - 4032
9200 Aalborg 0                                Telefax   : + 4598117016
DENMARK                                       X.25      : 238302121245:dafj